Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Garrison Trooper - 1942

4 posters

Go down

American Garrison Trooper - 1942 Empty American Garrison Trooper - 1942

Post  ProvostGuard Tue 14 Apr 2009, 4:59 am

Greetings. I have a question regarding this recolor I did:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The original can be seen here (http://tbn0.google.com/hosted/images/c?q=a772d1e5011d1eda_large)

I'm not sure if the strap and bag are the right color, and I had to guess on the bayonet. I'd be grateful if anybody could help me out. Thanks.

God bless.
Jeff Chu

ProvostGuard

Back to top Go down

American Garrison Trooper - 1942 Empty Re: American Garrison Trooper - 1942

Post  Sean Sun 19 Apr 2009, 4:47 am

Hey Jeff,
Looks pretty good to me.
Colours varied so much for both uniforms and equipment it is difficult to be proscriptive.
I would make it and the ammunition belt slightly more yellow beige, but that's personal choice.
I saw a colour photograph of an Australian in New Guinea during the war and it really brings it home.
Somehow B&W makes it a little distant.

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy Paul Mon 27 Apr 2009, 4:18 pm

Beautiful! With my humble opinion I would concur with Sean about the cartridge belt as I read a while ago that the U.S. personal equipment as in the cartridge belt, musette bag, braces, water bottle cover etc. were manufactured pre-war and early-war until around 1943-ish in a more beige colour and from around that time to the end of the war were produced in an olive green colour, which is not to say that the changeover happened overnight and surely manufacturers would use up their remaining beige-dyed web material before converting to the green material for economic reasons. And of course a draftee entering the Army in say 1944 could still be issued the older beige colour equipment if the depot had stocks of it remaining for the same reason. And guys in the field would wear whatever they were issued until it wore out so say a soldier entering service in 1942 might still by 1945 have his original equipment if nothing had happened to it or if it hadn't worn out. In 1942 (from what I've read) it would all still be the beige/tan colour. But otherwise it appears to me to be outstanding.

Billy Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueTrain Wed 30 Jan 2013, 6:07 am

Oh, I agree, it's an excellent coloring job. I have a few pieces of original equipment, some pre-WWI (in that nice pea green color) but the colors varied over the years. I've even seen some pieces of web gear with different parts that were in different colors. I have my father-in-law's web belt and musette bag and canteen from his service in WWII. The other is from another family relation and is from before WWI. Both have the first aid pouch but the set that belonged to my father-in-law has a first aid pouch that is a year or two older than the old set, if you follow me. Anyway, the stuff will be around for years.

A problem with interpreting colors of uniforms and equipment if you're trying to go by a color photo is that the very old color photos, including those reproduced in magazines, are generally very vivid and may not be truly life-like, though they're certainly better than black & white.

I'm pretty sure the bag in the photo is a gas mask bag.

BlueTrain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down