Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Foot Guards Officers' pips

2 posters

Go down

Foot Guards Officers' pips Empty Foot Guards Officers' pips

Post  sbintayab Sat 16 May 2015, 10:33 pm

Hi,
I am interested to know about pips of foot guards officers. After 1880, when did bath star change to corresponding regimental stars like garter star, shamrock star etc.
Cheers
Sham

sbintayab

Back to top Go down

Foot Guards Officers' pips Empty Guards stars

Post  wfrad Mon 18 May 2015, 5:35 am

Firstly the Dress regulations for the period, 1830’s, are harder to find than snowballs in hell.
As far as I’m aware, stars on the shoulder strap were worn for maybe sixty years before anyone decided to regulate them.
Some of the earlier stars had from six to eight points and could include the Order of the Garter and the Order of the Bath.
If I could find a copy of the 1830/31 regulations, or the General Orders for 1830 they may actually state the type of star.  
Or if like many of the other regulations they just state 'star' without giving any clarification, it's difficult so say if and when any change of device did occur.
Carmen mentions that in the General Order of August 1830 the star for officers rank should be the Order of the Bath, unless a regiment was authorised to wear the National Badge.
So I would imagine that the Grenadier, Coldstream and Scots would have worn the appropriate badges from the date of this order.
So after 1880.
The Grenadier and Coldstream Guards the Order of the Garter and Scots Guards the Order of the Thistle.
The Irish Guards in 1900 used the Order of the Garter and later after WWI the Star of St. Paterick.
The Welsh Guards use the Order of the Garter.

I think it's correct so it's probably wrong Very Happy

Regards
WF

Last edited by wfrad on Tue 19 May 2015, 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : text)

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Foot Guards Officers' pips Empty Re: Foot Guards Officers' pips

Post  sbintayab Wed 20 May 2015, 10:52 pm

Hi wfrad,
Thanks for your reply. I have gone through with DR 1904, 1911 and 1928. In DR 1928, it is mentioned the special pips for the foot guards regiments. I have attached the rank badge mentioning pages of DR 1904, 1911 and 1928.
DR1904:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
DR1911:
DR1928:
Besides, Rudyard Kipling's son 2/Lt Jack Kipling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kipling) was the officer of Irish Guards. He was died in 1915 in action. His picture is also attached. The pip was bath order.
I think British army introduced special pips for foot guards after great war.
Cheers
Shams

sbintayab

Back to top Go down

Foot Guards Officers' pips Empty Foot Guards

Post  wfrad Wed 27 May 2015, 8:00 am

Shams,
wfrad wrote:
The Grenadier and Coldstream Guards the Order of the Garter and Scots Guards the Order of the Thistle.
The Irish Guards in 1900 used the Order of the Garter and later after WWI the Star of St. Paterick.
Typo, should be;
The Irish Guards in 1900 used the Order of the Bath and later after WWI the Star of St. Paterick.

The pages are a little small to read, I assume that they just state star, then if an image is available in the annex they then direct you to that image.

Regards
WF

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Foot Guards Officers' pips Empty Re: Foot Guards Officers' pips

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down