Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bolivian Cavalry 1948

4 posters

Go down

Bolivian Cavalry 1948 Empty Bolivian Cavalry 1948

Post  Sean Thu 10 Jan 2013, 6:21 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Interesting mix of German helmet with khaki uniform. Not unheard of in South America.

Sean

Back to top Go down

Bolivian Cavalry 1948 Empty Re: Bolivian Cavalry 1948

Post  Animal Sat 19 Jan 2013, 11:35 am

Actually the Bolivians wore(and still wear, last I heard) a German-style field gray uniform.

Animal

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueTrain Tue 30 Jul 2013, 10:51 pm

The spiked helmet is not as popular as it was before WWI but it is far from extinct. It is still the headwear with dress uniforms in a few countries, even in Great Britain, where the old home service helmet is still used by some bands. I even saw a band (actually it may have been a fife and drum corps) wearing them in London summer before last. Likewise, there is even some use of it in Germany, where some brass marching bands retain a very militaristic appearance, even including goose stepping. However, brass bands have long been popular in Germany, Switzerland and Austria and are mostly very folk-music oriented. However, bands that appear at "Schützenfest" type events tend to be more military oriented. Shakos are also still worn, just like for American high school bands. In one or two South American countries, full dress uniforms look very Prussian, probably with good reason. There is at least on mounted band, Swedish, I think, that wears a spiked helmet.

BlueTrain

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisF202 Wed 31 Jul 2013, 7:37 am

The Swedish Army's Royal Lifeguard Regiment still wears spiked helmets as part of their dress uniform:
digitaljournal.com/img/6/8/7/0/1/4/i/9/7/4/o/Royal_Palace,_Stockholm_-_Royal_Guard.JPG

ChrisF202

Back to top Go down

Post  Animal Sat 03 Aug 2013, 4:25 pm

BlueTrain wrote:The spiked helmet is not as popular as it was before WWI but it is far from extinct. It is still the headwear with dress uniforms in a few countries, even in Great Britain, where the old home service helmet is still used by some bands. I even saw a band (actually it may have been a fife and drum corps) wearing them in London summer before last. Likewise, there is even some use of it in Germany, where some brass marching bands retain a very militaristic appearance, even including goose stepping. However, brass bands have long been popular in Germany, Switzerland and Austria and are mostly very folk-music oriented. However, bands that appear at "Schützenfest" type events tend to be more military oriented. Shakos are also still worn, just like for American high school bands. In one or two South American countries, full dress uniforms look very Prussian, probably with good reason. There is at least on mounted band, Swedish, I think, that wears a spiked helmet.

When I was about 9, I went with the rest of my family to a Volksfest at my church, where the band was wearing ted tunics and pickelhauben. I had a toy plastic WWII stahlhelm on, and one of the band members said "You're wearing the wrong helmet!"

Animal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down