Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NSW Reservist Uniforms circa 1910

3 posters

Go down

NSW Reservist Uniforms circa 1910 Empty NSW Reservist Uniforms circa 1910

Post  BradPowe Fri 27 Jul 2012, 3:32 pm

This photograph of my great-grandfather Richard Score Powe (1867-1920) and his son Norman (1898-1957) would have been taken about 1910. Richard's standard-pattern uniform features different collar badges from those in the 1890s; this may reflect a change of unit following the family's move from Waverley to Penshurst (near Hurstville in Sydney), NSW, or be due to post-Federation regulations. Norman's band uniform may be 'British Rifle Green'.

Unfortunately, the family does not have a record of the unit(s) they were involved with, and any assistance in identifying them would be appreciated.

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

BradPowe

Back to top Go down

NSW Reservist Uniforms circa 1910 Empty Re: NSW Reservist Uniforms circa 1910

Post  Sean Fri 27 Jul 2012, 7:33 pm

This is a very good photograph, showing the 1903 Commonwealth pattern uniform. If a closer picture of the collar is available it may help with identification. I would put the period before 1910 but not by much. Badges did change between the colonial forces and the Commonwealth, essentially due to a change in the crown. Was the dark green band uniform from his military service? If so I would suggest the NSW Irish Rifle Regiment (8th NSW Infantry [Irish Rifles] of colonial days). They were the only NSW 'foot' regiment in dark green.

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post  BradPowe Fri 27 Jul 2012, 8:04 pm

Thanks, Sean.

The photo that I scanned looks better than the posted image; it's a 1980s copy of the original photo, and printed on textured paper that diminishes the detail of the collar badge. However, the badges look like a stag (with antlers) to me; does that sound like the Irish Regiment to you? The Powe family had lived in Devon(shire) for 400 years, so there's no Irish connection - although I do have a photo of Richard in blazer with a harp badge.

BradPowe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Sat 28 Jul 2012, 6:34 am

I will refer this to a man who knows considerably more than I do on the subject and see what he thinks.

Sean

Back to top Go down

NSW Reservist Uniforms circa 1910 Empty 1st NSW Regiment aka East Sydney Regiment

Post  BradPowe Sat 28 Jul 2012, 4:05 pm

After spending some time on line today, visiting the National Library of Australia's Trove website and elsewhere, it seems Richard was a member of the East Sydney Regiment (consistent with his Waverley abode). This unit was also known as the 1st N.S.W. Infantry Regiment, and is claimed as a progenitor of both 1RAR and 1/19 RNSWR.

In either case, the regimental colours are 'black over green' - a distinction that can just be made out on the collar tabs of Richard's jacket. The collar badge itself is apparently a stag on a (heraldic) 'cap of maintenance', the like of which can be seen in the unit's badge of 1900-1912 (from the 1/19 RNSWR website).

BradPowe

Back to top Go down

Post  zar99 Sat 28 Jul 2012, 4:17 pm

Hi Sean,

I managed to get the photo downloaded and am pleased to inform that your man is from the 1st. Australian Infantry Battalion (NSW) from the period 1903-1912..
The collar badges are opposing deer, en garde passant, standing on a stylised cap..
I will send a photocopy of the badges from one of my books that you can pass onto the enquirer..
I cannot id the young fella but suggest he is a cadet bugler, probably in a dark blue uniform.
Hope this helps..
Regards
Jeff

zar99

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Sat 28 Jul 2012, 7:46 pm

Thanks Jeff
Thanks for the question Brad, good that it got some discussion going

Sean

Back to top Go down