Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latvian Air Force

3 posters

Go down

Latvian Air Force Empty Latvian Air Force

Post  wfrad Mon 15 Mar 2010, 7:51 am

Believe me when I say it looked a little clearer before exporting and saving it.
Latvian air force officer from the 1920s, in the thirties the uniform changed to a lighter colour and lost the stand up collar to be replaced with a white shirt and tie.
In the image are larger versions of the shoulder strap badge, breast pocket flap badge and the pilots badge.
Latter on in the 1930's the Aircrew badge was moved down and worn on the breast pocket rather than on the flap.
Main source was from Encyklopedia Lotnictwa Wojskowego - Mundury Lotnicze,
Latvian Air Force Latvia10
Regards
WF

Last edited by wfrad on Tue 19 Jul 2022, 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removing photobucket)

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Latvian Air Force Empty Blue or black?

Post  Sean Sat 20 Mar 2010, 9:48 pm

I thought the Latvian Air Force uniform was black?
Like that of their Armoured Corps.

Sean

Back to top Go down

Latvian Air Force Empty Air force uniform

Post  wfrad Sat 20 Mar 2010, 10:34 pm

Hi Sean,
Not according to the Polish reference that I used for the twenties and thirties, dark blue then a lighter blue in line with say UK and Germany.
The backing to the collar patches is shown to be black.
I tried to cross ref but getting details in English is quite difficult for the pre WWII period.
Period photo's show a dark uniform which without having a description could be blue, black or even brown.
Sorry to confuse, trying to find out more details.
Regards
WF

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Latvian Air Force Empty Re: Latvian Air Force

Post  Animal Mon 29 Mar 2010, 6:45 am

It would help if we could find someone familiar with Latvian or if we could find a color photo of a surviving example. Of course from photos I've seen, the modern Latvian uniforms are almost exact copies of the ones worn before their "invitation" to join the USSR. Certainly the Army ones.

Animal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mon 29 Mar 2010, 6:20 pm

I was on a Latvian uniform site the other day (the reference is at home), and it showed black with blue piping/facings.

Sean

Back to top Go down

Latvian Air Force Empty Latvian uniforms

Post  wfrad Tue 30 Mar 2010, 9:49 am

From another source that references the Latvian War Museum,
In 1922 the technical division of the army had bluish black uniforms and tab colours changed several times from 1922.
The army headquarters technical commission started to draft the first standardised uniform regulations for the Latvian armed forces, initially grey field broadcloth, firstly changed to green and later to khaki.
The aviation squadron, later regiment, in 1939 had red tabs with blue piping.
Regards
WF

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down