Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transjordan Frontier Force uniforms WW2

5 posters

Go down

Transjordan Frontier Force uniforms WW2 Empty Transjordan Frontier Force uniforms WW2

Post  zebra Thu 06 Aug 2009, 8:19 pm

"Armed Forces of WW2" -Andrew Mollo has a undated illustration of a TJFF soldier in grey shirt, kd headdress/shorts. Does anyone know if this was worn by all the TJFF or perhaps those on desert/frontier patrol or was the tunic and breeches worn by all? Pat.

zebra

Back to top Go down

Transjordan Frontier Force uniforms WW2 Empty Re: Transjordan Frontier Force uniforms WW2

Post  Sean Fri 07 Aug 2009, 12:32 pm

The grey-blue shirt of the TJFF was their field dress, as they were considered to be an armed gendarmerie. It could also be worn as ceremonial uniform in the hotter months. A stand collared khaki jacket was usually worn for parades with chains on the shoulders. A red cummerbund was worn around the waist, under the belt. The furcap was usually a parade item with the head cloth used during other duties. Cord breeches and long puttees were worn by mounted men, trousers and lon puttees by others.

Sean

Back to top Go down

Transjordan Frontier Force uniforms WW2 Empty TransjordanFF/Arab legion

Post  zebra Fri 07 Aug 2009, 7:22 pm

Sean ,many thanks for replying,but could i just ask did the TJFF wear the 1903 brown leather bandolier when in the field and did the belt have the small ammo pouches? I'm not too sure if this or the 1937 webbing was worn. Pat.

zebra

Back to top Go down

Transjordan Frontier Force uniforms WW2 Empty Re: Transjordan Frontier Force uniforms WW2

Post  Sean Sat 08 Aug 2009, 3:06 am

The 1903 bandolier was worn but not the waist belt pouches. These were more for dismounted members to compensate for no pouches on the back of the bandolier.

Sean

Back to top Go down

Transjordan Frontier Force uniforms WW2 Empty Transjordan FF WW2 uniforms

Post  zebra Sat 08 Aug 2009, 8:40 pm

Thanks again Sean,just one final query diid the officers wear the grey shirt, shorts,cummerbund or have a "Sam Brown " belt? Pat.

zebra

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Sun 09 Aug 2009, 5:29 am

Certainly did

Sean

Back to top Go down

Transjordan Frontier Force uniforms WW2 Empty Transjordan WW2 uniforms

Post  zebra Tue 11 Aug 2009, 7:28 pm

Thanks again for replying Sean, i only ask as "Echoes of the bugle " by Marcel Roubicek mentions the TJFF but not the field uniform also "The Arab Legion by Peter Young is more of a history. Pat.

zebra

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Wed 12 Aug 2009, 5:33 pm

Just reread your previous question. I doubt if British officers wore shorts, not the done thing in the Middle East, as opposed to Asia.

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post  Animal Fri 14 Aug 2009, 6:28 am

Sean wrote:Just reread your previous question. I doubt if British officers wore shorts, not the done thing in the Middle East, as opposed to Asia.

I'm sure that I've seen pics of officers in the Middle East wearing shorts. Certainly in North Africa.

Animal

Back to top Go down

Transjordan Frontier Force uniforms WW2 Empty shorts

Post  wfrad Fri 14 Aug 2009, 7:57 pm

I believe that the army order of ’35 left it up to the discretion of the officers commanding so they may have being worn but few and far between.
Saying that most pics of officers in shorts are from India.
Regards
WF

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Post  Raja Thu 20 Aug 2009, 7:19 pm

Hello, would the TJFF officers more likely wear kd shirts ? Surely the red cummerbund would be issued to the O.R s only ? Raja.

Raja

Back to top Go down

Transjordan Frontier Force uniforms WW2 Empty The King wears shorts.

Post  wfrad Sun 23 Aug 2009, 10:41 pm

[quote="Animal"]
Sean wrote:Just reread your previous question. I doubt if British officers wore shorts, not the done thing in the Middle East, as opposed to Asia.

Animal,
A photograph of King George VI wearing shorts while inspecting 2/4th batt. Hampshire Regt. in Italy July '44 is in Rosignoli's Allied Forces of Italy 1943-45, photographs taken from the A. Voller collection.
So if shorts were worn in Italy then they probably would have being worn in the Middle East, at least during the WWII.
Regards
WF

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mon 31 Aug 2009, 3:53 pm

My problem is I don't expand on my thoughts.
Shorts were definitely worn by British officers serving in the Middle East, before during and after the war.
However, the officers of 'colonial' units were loath to wear them, must keep up standards.
Breeches were generally worn for the field and general duties. Trousers for in barracks and undress uniform. Shorts offered little protection from the sun and harsh vegetation, and were not the best for predominantly mounted duties as performed by the TJFF.
KD shirts may have been worn, but I believe blue grey was the unit colour for shirts.
The cummerbund was worn by all ranks, as was done in the Indian cavalry. In field order officers may not have burdened themselves with it.

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post  Raja Sat 19 Sep 2009, 7:53 pm

Thanks guys for all the info,i didn't realise it would be of much intrest when i posted my query Raja.

Raja

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down