Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eastern Frontier Police Force 1860

2 posters

Go down

Eastern Frontier Police Force 1860 Empty Eastern Frontier Police Force 1860

Post  Les-Art Sun 25 Oct 2009, 10:22 am

Here we have and old glass plate photo showing the complete EASTERN FRONTIER POLICE FORCE at ASSAM , INDIA, in 1860.
https://i.servimg.com/u/f88/13/98/25/75/easter10.jpg
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The tall man in the centre of the photo is the one in charge and along with the men wearing the trousers without puttees, will be British. All the others are natives.

Don't know anything about this force yet, but thought it an interesting photo simply for it's age.

Best Regards,
Les

Les-Art

Back to top Go down

Eastern Frontier Police Force 1860 Empty Re: Eastern Frontier Police Force 1860

Post  RagePaintedSky Sun 25 Oct 2009, 11:23 am

An interesting picture indeed... Thanks for sharing it.
Could it be the Cachar Levy? It seems it was a semi-military levy, with recruits from Bengal, as Assamese people didn't want to join due to the low wages, it was later renamed to Frontier Police (1883), Assam Military Police (1891) and Assam Rifles (1920). But I can't state it's really this unit...
I found the info in Google Books (History of Upper Assam, Upper Burmah, and North Eastern Frontier, p. 245) and in the Assam Police web site: http://assampolice.com/ap_history.htm
Sorry if this makes no sense...
By the way, I took a look on the "Most Wanted" section in case there was someone of the forum, but it seems they have not noticed us still.
Regards

Felip

RagePaintedSky

Back to top Go down

Post  Les-Art Sun 25 Oct 2009, 12:40 pm

Hi Felip.
All information is good information as far as I'm concerned. I find these phtos while surfing the internet usually find them by accident but because they are of Police subjects I tend to download them so that I can do a bit of research later on.
The renaming of forces seems quite common for this time period ,so I would go along with your theory that the name was changed as the years went on.

You are very quick to do some resaerch as I only posted the photo about a hour ago. You must have nothing better to do on a Saturday night Very Happy Your comments are appreciated and it is nice to see that someone is reading my posts.

It is rare on this forum for members to be online at the same time and actually contact each other.

As you are from Spain you may be able to help with a bit of research for me, I posted a request about the Guardia Civil sending a unit to China to support the Emabassy there after the Boxer Rebellion, I found one reference to this on a website which unfortunately I cannot find again as I forgot to bookmark it. They would have been a small group asigned as the Embassy Guard arriving with the new Ambassador around 1901 , after the actual fighting in Peking but during the occupation of the country by the European powers. I am looking for confirmation that they were sent to either Tentsien or Peking. Spain had an Embassy in Peking at the time of the Boxer Rebellion and must have had an embassy guard of some type but this isn't even well documented. Any assistance is appreciated.

Best Regards,
Les

Les-Art

Back to top Go down

Post  RagePaintedSky Sun 25 Oct 2009, 1:30 pm

You're right, Les Very Happy My girlfriend is on a job trip, the kid is in his father's house, and I have thrown the cat inside a closet, besides, it's been raining all day (and night)... so here I am, trying to clear up whether the Indian police website is not updated or haven't they been told of my sister's veal stew (I have not seen her picture either).
I will do some research on the Guardia Civil in China... I shall tell you as soon as I know something about it. Maybe there is some information in Spanish. Sorry I didn't see the request for help... Rolling Eyes I was convinced I took a look on requests in case I could be helpful.
Regards

Felip

RagePaintedSky

Back to top Go down

Post  Les-Art Mon 26 Oct 2009, 8:33 am

Hi Felip,
I logged off in the early hours of the morning ,as I realised I had to change all my clocks in the house back by one hour due to daylight saving time. I always have a problem changing the timer on my DVD recorder so try to get it done before the next days TV programs come on as I record quite a few historical programs to watch later.

The request for information on the 'Guardia Civil in China' is on a different section of the forum which covers that country. I am convinced that there must be some information in Spanish on this subject, although I have the book on the history of the 'La Guardia Civil' by Jose Maria Bueno Carrera and it makes no mention of this, but it would have been a small number of men which would be a reason why it doesn't get mentioned. I should clarify that I do not read or speak Spanish so within the body of the text of the book it may cover what I am looking for . however I can identify the names of the varies countries and have not seen anything about China. Spain was well respected in China within the context of negotiations with the Chinese Government and they had at least an Embassy in Peking. Any help would be great, there is no rush although if you can find something sooner rather than later ,a friend is writing a book on the subject of the Boxer Rebellion and Occupation of China , and would include this information in his book if it can be clarified.

Do you have any requests for information that I can help you with?

Best Regards,
Les

Les-Art

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down