Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spanish Republican Navy and Air Force rank insignia

3 posters

Go down

Spanish Republican Navy and Air Force rank insignia Empty Spanish Republican Navy and Air Force rank insignia

Post  ChrisF202 Wed 26 Nov 2008, 6:07 am

http://insignias.wikia.com/wiki/Spain%2C_Republican_Air_Force
http://insignias.wikia.com/wiki/Spain%2C_Republican_Navy

^ only lists the officer ranks and corresponding rank insignia, were their no enlisted or NCO ranks or did they just not wear rank insignia?

ChrisF202

Back to top Go down

Spanish Republican Navy and Air Force rank insignia Empty Re: Spanish Republican Navy and Air Force rank insignia

Post  buistR Wed 26 Nov 2008, 2:19 pm

At the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War the bulk of the Navy remained loyal to the Republican Government - shooting or imprisoning officers who had opted to joint the Nationalist rising. Accordingly the Republican Navy (Marina Republicano) continued to wear the peactime uniforms and insignia. For non-commissioned ranks these included: two yellow chevrons on the upper sleeve pointing upwards for Maestre; two downward pointing chevrons for Cabo no 1; one downward for Cabo de mar; one red diagonal stripe for Marinero preferente.

The airforces on both sides wore army style nco insignia but in green (diagonal stripes on the lower sleeve - three in green for Cabo (corporal); three in gold trimmed in green for Sargento (sergent). Soldados de 1 (senior privates) wore a large single chevron in green from above the elbow to the shoulder. In field or working dress blue "mono" overalls were often worn, with small horizontal stripes sewn onto the chest. The same insignia would be worn on the front of the "gorillo" forage caps worn by other ranks.

buistR

Back to top Go down

Spanish Republican Navy and Air Force rank insignia Empty Re: Spanish Republican Navy and Air Force rank insignia

Post  ChrisF202 Thu 27 Nov 2008, 2:03 am

BuistR, thank you so much Very Happy

I have been looking for the enlisted ranks for a long time now!

ChrisF202

Back to top Go down

Spanish Republican Navy and Air Force rank insignia Empty Spanish rank NCO airforce

Post  wfrad Fri 28 Nov 2008, 4:17 am

BuistR/ChrisF
Here's a quick chart for the air ranks after '38, I don't believe there was a deal of change from those before civil war.
In Uniforms & Insignia of the Navies of World War II -US intelligence by Andrew Mollo has a couple of pages on the Spanish Navy.
I could scan and email if you wish? not a lot of info but OK.
Spanish Republican Navy and Air Force rank insignia Spaina10

Last edited by wfrad on Sun 24 Jul 2022, 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed photobucket)

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Post  buistR Fri 28 Nov 2008, 8:54 am

Thanks WF. One picture is certainly worth a thousand words - especially when you are trying to describe something as hard to visualise as the "large single chevron from the elbow to the shoulder" that distinguishes the Spanish equivalent of lance-corporal. One day I must master the art of posting illustrations to this site. The only change from the Civil War airforce insignia to that illustrated appears to have been the substitution of red for green. Certainly green was the historic "branch colour" of the Spanish Servicio de Aviacion. The Spanish uniform expert Jose M. Bueno devoted an entire book to their pre-Civil War uniforms and green insignia and piping are the rule for all ranks up to sergeant. The plates of another Bueno book "Uniformes Militares de la Guerra Civil Espanola" devoted to air force uniforms on both sides, show that green remained in favour until at least 1939. Then Franco changed quite a number of historic Spanish uniform features - I suppose that's what being a victorious dictator is all about.

Regards

buistR

Back to top Go down

Spanish Republican Navy and Air Force rank insignia Empty Spanish rank

Post  wfrad Fri 28 Nov 2008, 11:08 am

buistR
How's your Polish!
I have a nasty habit of picking up books in foreign languages and spending the next twenty years trying to read them.
The illustrations came from a Polish book on Air Forces that can be found in English, though I have only seen a couple advertised and the price wasn't really in range. There are about a dozen pages on Spain from 1911 up to the 70’s and five of the pages have illustrations. Not a lot of picture info but if you wish to tear your hair out you’re welcome to have copies.
Regards
WF

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Post  buistR Fri 28 Nov 2008, 12:59 pm

Hi WF Sadly Polish is amongst the many subjects of which I am shamefully ignorant. Thank you for the thoughtful offer though.

On the other hand I do have a reasonably large collection of uniform pictures in both hard copy and electronic forms. Glad to scan and email if you are researching any more of your excellent reconstructions.

Regards

buistR

Back to top Go down

Spanish Republican Navy and Air Force rank insignia Empty Scans

Post  wfrad Mon 01 Dec 2008, 8:54 am

BuistR
Thank's,
I wouldn't say that I'm researching anything, just what I happen to come accross that takes my interest.
Bit like our friend the late Doctor - hit and miss, only I avoid using a pair of scissors.
Thanks for your generous offer and If I do get stuck I'll take you up on it.
By the way the Illustrations in the Polish bookd have a short English translation and cover most of Europe,
Regards
WF

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Spanish Republican Navy and Air Force rank insignia Empty Spanish Navy Seaman & PO's

Post  wfrad Thu 11 Dec 2008, 8:11 am

Here's a illustration for Spanish junior PO's and seamen. I believe that the details are correct.
Spanish Republican Navy and Air Force rank insignia Spain110

Last edited by wfrad on Sun 24 Jul 2022, 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed photobucket)

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Spanish Republican Navy and Air Force rank insignia Empty Spanish PO 1st Class 1940's

Post  wfrad Sun 14 Dec 2008, 9:45 am

Here's a Spanish PO 1st Class in Fatigue Dress from 30's & 40's.
I believe it gives a general idea of the uniform.
Regards
WF
Spanish Republican Navy and Air Force rank insignia Spainp10

Last edited by wfrad on Sun 24 Jul 2022, 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed photobucket)

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Spanish Republican Navy and Air Force rank insignia Empty Spanish civil war Republican army

Post  wfrad Fri 31 Aug 2012, 10:09 am

After the Falange received heavy casualties the republican army took over control.
Spanish Republican Navy and Air Force rank insignia Nacian10

Last edited by wfrad on Sun 24 Jul 2022, 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed photobucket)

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down