Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Facing color of Australian regiments and units

3 posters

Go down

Facing color of Australian regiments and units Empty Facing color of Australian regiments and units

Post  sbintayab Sun 17 Nov 2013, 12:16 am

Hi,
Greetings. Can you please give a source about the facing color of Australian regiments and units during 1903?
Thanking
Shams

sbintayab

Back to top Go down

Facing color of Australian regiments and units Empty Austro-Hungarian

Post  wfrad Sun 17 Nov 2013, 5:54 am

Shams,
As far as I know the facing colours from around 1870-1914 were mainly unchanged.
I only have two main sources of reference and I haven't checked them fully, Uniforms of the World Knotel/Sieg and Austo-Hungarian Infantry 1914-18 Lucas.
With the introduction of the new blue-grey uniform just prior to 1914 the ash grey distinctions around the collar was changed to brown for the new uniform.
That said, the 11th, 24th 51st and 33rd regiments are still listed as having ash grey distinction in 1914 charts.
Maybe the old colour war retained just for dress uniforms.
Not a lot of help but a start!!

Regards
WF

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Facing color of Australian regiments and units Empty Re: Facing color of Australian regiments and units

Post  sbintayab Sun 17 Nov 2013, 12:27 pm

Dear Wilf,
Thanks. I think you may misunderstand me. I want to know about the facing color of Australian army and its regiments, not Imperial Austro-hungarian army. Recently I have got the dress regulations of Military Forces of Commonwealth of Australia 1903 from state library, Melbourne. In this book, it is mentioned that, each infantry regiments of Australian army has individual facing color, not like Canadian Militia regiments (Royal blue). It has insipred me to look for facing color of Australian infantry and cavalry regiments of year 1903. Do you have any clue or source information regarding the facing color of Australian Cavalry and Infantry regiments of that period please?
Regards
Shams

sbintayab

Back to top Go down

Facing color of Australian regiments and units Empty Re: Facing color of Australian regiments and units

Post  Sean Sun 17 Nov 2013, 8:36 pm

The infantry of the very new Australian Commonwealth Military Forces wore green facings on their khaki uniforms. This was the standard dress for all infantry units. Those of the Militia had red lines on their gorget patches and flecks in their chest cords. The Volunteer units had plain green. This was as detailed in the 1903 Dress Regulations. A considerable number of regiments continued to wear, with official approval, the full dress of their colonial days. These had different coloured facings, and indeed different styles. Some of the Militia units had a new 'Commonwealth' uniform based on their old colonial pattern such as the Derwent Regiment who had white facings (from memory).

Sean

Back to top Go down

Facing color of Australian regiments and units Empty Australian Militia

Post  wfrad Sun 17 Nov 2013, 9:56 pm

Sorry Sham,
Won’t be the first or the last time that dyslexia has made an idiot of me.
I should read any item more than once and use my glasses, on another occasion I would probably have mistaken Austria for Australia.
Before the Federation of Australia was formed in 1901 the colonies were protected by thier own Militia units.
These militia units were formed into the federal army by 1903.
Books that deal with this period of Australian uniforms that may be of use to you and you be able to borrow from the libary.
I don’t know the content of the books but they may give additional information other than badges.

Australian Army Badges [part 2 1900-1930]: A collectors Reference by J. K. Cossum
Military Badges of the Australian Colonies 1800-1903 by Rick Grebert
Distinguishing Colour Patches of the Australian Military Forces 1915-1951 by Keith Glyde

Regards
WF

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Post  sbintayab Sun 17 Nov 2013, 11:59 pm

Thanks Sean.. It will help me, but do you have any source or list about the facing color of the full dress of Australian Infantry and cavalry regiments during that time please?? Over the internet, I have searched about this, but failed..
Thanks Wilf.. I have searched this book to download or purchase.. But all are unavailable..Sad 
I think you both will show me a light about my quest..
Thanking
Shams

sbintayab

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mon 18 Nov 2013, 6:47 am

You can get those books through the interlibrary loan service at your local library.Costs me $17.30 per book to do it but the cost of getting to the library holding the book is more.
The books mentioned do not give you facing colours. They are very good books on badges and colour patches, not uniforms.
As to a source on Australian military uniforms of that period? How about http://www.uniformsotw.com/products/cd00.htm
There are also a series of CDs on the colonial forces that includes the facings of infantry regiments at the turn of the 1900s.

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post  sbintayab Tue 19 Nov 2013, 1:26 am

Hi Sean,
Thanks.. I am interested about the CD.. But I have a query.. Does this CD contain the facing color and full dress information of all Australian Infantry and Cavalry regiments??
Cheers
Shams

sbintayab

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Tue 19 Nov 2013, 5:24 am

The page I showed has a full list of the figures contained within. It doesn't show all the full dress variants used during this time as some were brought over from the colonial period. It does show all the 1903 khaki uniforms.

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down