Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Abyssinian Cavalry?

2 posters

Go down

Abyssinian Cavalry? Empty Abyssinian Cavalry?

Post  Abadu Sat 27 Nov 2010, 12:34 pm

Does anyone has any idea of what is the unit depicted here ? The saddlecloth is green and red, two of the ethiopian national colours, and has a small lion of Judah depicted, which is another abyssinian national symbol. However, it can't be an ethiopian soldier, because the first uniformed troops of ethiopia were raised in 1917. Anyone has a good guess of what this man might have been?

Abadu

Back to top Go down

Abyssinian Cavalry? Empty Abbysinian Cavalry

Post  michael1 Fri 31 Dec 2010, 4:14 am

This is almost certainly a regiment of Bengal Irregular Cavalry circa 1820-40. The horse furniture & stance are typical of similar "Company School" watercolours I've seen. Bear in mind that Lawson copied this from an original watercolour in the old War Office whose collection was principally British & Empire material. Ethnically the man also looks typically Indian. I imagine the Brown Colection took the erroneous title from the dealer they purchased it from. Not unusual as I once bought a watercolour of the Hyderabad Arab Guard miscatalogued as Aden Levies!!

michael1

Back to top Go down

Abyssinian Cavalry? Empty Re: Abyssinian Cavalry?

Post  Abadu Fri 31 Dec 2010, 9:08 am

Thank you so much for the help! This picture had kept me puzzled for a long time.
A little of topic, but could you share that watercolour of the Hyderabad Arab Guard you mentioned? I'm looking for information about the uniforms of Hyderabad, ad that picture could help.

Abadu

Back to top Go down

Post  michael1 Sat 01 Jan 2011, 3:46 am

Don't yet know how to scan pictures, I'm not of computer generation though maybe my kids can help. There is a unique pattern book of all the Hyderabad uniforms by the official taylor dating from beginning of 1900s. It is owned by a friend of mine in Sweden who bought it many years ago from the leading collector of militaria in Hyderabad. I have not seen it but hope one day possibly to get photos, one lives in hope.

michael1

Back to top Go down

Post  Abadu Sat 01 Jan 2011, 4:23 am

Well,there is no problem michael, just post it if possible. And thanks for your help with the question (:

Abadu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down