Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The old Regimental Colour and Kings Colour of Cap Town Highlanders

2 posters

Go down

The old Regimental Colour and Kings Colour of Cap Town Highlanders Empty The old Regimental Colour and Kings Colour of Cap Town Highlanders

Post  Niels Mon 08 Feb 2010, 2:48 am

Does any know how those colours looked, as the description on the regimental homepage is poor. It is especially the motives on the Regimental colour which is of interest.

Niels

Back to top Go down

The old Regimental Colour and Kings Colour of Cap Town Highlanders Empty Re: The old Regimental Colour and Kings Colour of Cap Town Highlanders

Post  eccles Tue 16 Mar 2010, 5:09 am

The field of the Regimental Colour was golden yellow, the sleeve was crimson, the fringe was gold, the cords and tassels gold and crimson mixed. In the centre was a shield with the Royal arms of Scotland. This was surrounded by a blue garter bearing the motto NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT in gold. Below the garter were two crossed sprigs of thistles, in natural colours. Below the centre was a blue scroll with, in gold letters, DUKE OF CONNAUGHT AND STRATHEARN'S OWN, and below that second scroll, in similar colours, with CAPE TOWN HIGHLANDERS. In each corner of the sheet was a ducal coronet. Two battle honours were borne, in gold letters on a blue scroll, BECHUANALAND 1896-7 to the hoist, and SOUTH AFRICA 1899-1902 to the fly.

The King's Colour was a plain Union Jack with a gold fringe. In the centre was the standard crowned circlet; around the circle was DUKE OF CONNAUGHT..., and in the centre CAPE TOWN/HIGHLANDERS. The regiment was entitled to a single battle honour, by virtue of the service of 6th SA Infantry: S.W. AFRICA 1914-15. But no WW1 battle honours were placed on the colours at this time. WW2 honours had not been settled before these colours were laid up.

eccles

Back to top Go down

The old Regimental Colour and Kings Colour of Cap Town Highlanders Empty Thank you for the information

Post  Niels Tue 25 May 2010, 12:42 am

I am very happy to have this answer. I would be 100 % if I could have a picture showing the Regimental Colour.
I have asked the Regiment but got NO answer at all, niether have the Church where the Colours should be laid up.
Rgds
Niels

Niels

Back to top Go down

The old Regimental Colour and Kings Colour of Cap Town Highlanders Empty Re: The old Regimental Colour and Kings Colour of Cap Town Highlanders

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum