Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Question About The Amsterdamse Burgerwacht

2 posters

Go down

A Question About The Amsterdamse Burgerwacht Empty A Question About The Amsterdamse Burgerwacht

Post  Animal Tue 15 Apr 2008, 2:35 pm

I have a couple questions about this uniform, not being familiar with this unit. Was this like a militia unit? If not, then what was its function? Also, wouldn't it have been more economical for them to wear standard Dutch Army uniform? And considering that the Dutch Army didn't wear the Adrian helmet, I'm guessing that this unit would've purchased them privately.

A Question About The Amsterdamse Burgerwacht 36%20amster_small

Animal

Back to top Go down

A Question About The Amsterdamse Burgerwacht Empty Re: A Question About The Amsterdamse Burgerwacht

Post  Admin Tue 15 Apr 2008, 3:35 pm

The Burgerwacht first appeared in the Great War as a local defence Corps, probably consisting of those who could not be released for service in the army. It was voluntary but received assistance from the government. After the war several Corps kept active, most visible being the Amsterdam unit.
Like volunteer units all over the world they wanted to be set apart, hence the different style of uniform. This appears to have been a common style for the various Burgerwacht units in Holland in the 1930s.
They used Dutch Army equipment and weapons, to the best of my knowledge.
The helmet, both French and German were used, may have come from private purchases or were retained by the Dutch authorities when soldiers crossed their borders and were interned. It was the Amsterdam unit in M16 Stahlhelm that got me interested in these units.

Admin
Admin

http://uotw.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

A Question About The Amsterdamse Burgerwacht Empty Re: A Question About The Amsterdamse Burgerwacht

Post  Animal Tue 15 Apr 2008, 10:28 pm

Admin wrote:The Burgerwacht first appeared in the Great War as a local defence Corps, probably consisting of those who could not be released for service in the army. It was voluntary but received assistance from the government. After the war several Corps kept active, most visible being the Amsterdam unit.
Like volunteer units all over the world they wanted to be set apart, hence the different style of uniform. This appears to have been a common style for the various Burgerwacht units in Holland in the 1930s.
They used Dutch Army equipment and weapons, to the best of my knowledge.
The helmet, both French and German were used, may have come from private purchases or were retained by the Dutch authorities when soldiers crossed their borders and were interned. It was the Amsterdam unit in M16 Stahlhelm that got me interested in these units.

Thanks!! I don't suppose there's any photos of these units?

Animal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down