Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Early British Beret

3 posters

Go down

Early British Beret Empty Early British Beret

Post  Admin Sat 30 Jul 2011, 9:18 pm

When I was putting together my CD on Palestine & Transjordan I illustrated a Palestine Policeman with a beret. This wasn't a whim, being based on the photograph shown below, from Nongqai.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Although I know the Royal Tanks wore the beret at this time, it came as a surprise that a police force wore it.
Anyone know of other 'British' instances pre-war?

Admin
Admin

http://uotw.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Early British Beret Empty King Farouk I and his officers

Post  mconrad Mon 01 Aug 2011, 7:45 am

I found this on the Internet, and was looking for an excuse to post it. It is King Farouk of Egypt with some of his army officers and men. Although the king is wearing a uniform that could be from World War II to 1950, his men look they are in the 1930s, in view of the puttees, tunics, and largish black berets.

Can anyone more precisely date this photo?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

mconrad

Back to top Go down

Early British Beret Empty Re: Early British Beret

Post  buistR Mon 01 Aug 2011, 12:06 pm

Hi Mc. I think we can be fairly precise about this - the whole Egyptian Army (except the Camel Corps who had turbans) wore fezs until 1950 and King Farouk (centre in peaked cap) was overthrown in July 1952. Even if the new armoured corps had adopted black berets during the 1940s (and other techical branches such as the artillery still appear in the ubiquitous fez during this period) then the king and his ADCs should still be wearing the traditional headdress prior to 1950.

Whether fairly or not the British did not have a high opinion of the Egyptian officer corps under the monarchy (appointment and promotion was largely a matter of court favour). However they certainly looked smart judging by your photo - perhaps they could afford good tailors and the best of batmen!

Regards

buistR

Back to top Go down

Early British Beret Empty Re: Early British Beret

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down