Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British Honduras Defence Force/British Guiana Militia ,uniforms WW2?

4 posters

Go down

British Honduras Defence Force/British Guiana Militia ,uniforms WW2? Empty British Honduras Defence Force/British Guiana Militia ,uniforms WW2?

Post  zebra Fri 07 Aug 2009, 7:36 pm

Just browsing the web yesterday when i chanced upon a couple of units that i had never heard of before. Has anyone got any info about them or WW2 uniform details? I would assume kd shirt/shorts , 1908 webbing as basic kit. I beleive the "Players" cigarette company released (no idea when) some collectors cards showing British Imperial military units of some of the less well known territories including the above two. Pat.

zebra

Back to top Go down

British Honduras Defence Force/British Guiana Militia ,uniforms WW2? Empty Re: British Honduras Defence Force/British Guiana Militia ,uniforms WW2?

Post  MichalM Sat 08 Aug 2009, 6:54 pm

MichalM

Back to top Go down

British Honduras Defence Force/British Guiana Militia ,uniforms WW2? Empty Re: British Honduras Defence Force/British Guiana Militia ,uniforms WW2?

Post  Sean Sun 09 Aug 2009, 5:27 am

The West India forces are a mixed bag. KD was the material of choice, but bush shirts were used alongside normal shirts, jackets and service dress. Wloesley helmets, KD side caps and peaked caps were also worn.
More detail is available in UOTW CD11 http://www.uniformsotw.co.uk/products/cd11.htm

Sean

Back to top Go down

British Honduras Defence Force/British Guiana Militia ,uniforms WW2? Empty Britihh Honduras/Guiana WW2 uniforms.

Post  zebra Tue 11 Aug 2009, 7:42 pm

Michal M and Sean thankyou for replying, yes those are the cigarette cards i've seen mentioned and Sean that Burma/Malaya and BH/G uniforms info is as usual very helpfull, Pat.

zebra

Back to top Go down

Post  giraffe6 Mon 26 Apr 2010, 6:41 pm

British Honduras had a small population ,only 60 000 in 1950 and its military strength was tiny.In 1897 the Belize light infantry volunteers were formed -200 strong and a mounted company formed in 1904-40 strong.This unit was abolished in 1928 and replaced by the British Honduras defence force (1928-44),a territorial force of 4 platoons- 120 to 150 in size.The players cigarrete card shows the serge WW1 British khaki uniform which doesn't seem too practical in the hot ,tropical climate of Belize, so i would assume that kd shirt ,shorts, puttees, 1908 webbing, side cap and helmet would be worn as field /active service uniform. But photos of the BHDF seem hard to find. Paul.

giraffe6

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down