Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Navy add-on WWI

3 posters

Go down

US Navy add-on WWI Empty US Navy add-on WWI

Post  wfrad Tue 23 Dec 2008, 6:44 am

Here’s a chart for the Coast and Geodetic Survey From Military and Naval Recognition Book, a handbook on the organization, insignia of rank, and customs of the service of the world's important armies and navies by Leut. Comm. J. W. Bunkley U. S. Navy'.  
Courtesy of the internet Archive and the University of California Libraries.
There’s only the basic details so forgive any mistakes. The first and second additions differ in that in the latter addition [1918] there's no badge above the rank badges on the shouler straps.
Again the Bird looks like a Christmas Turkey so you could say it's seasonal!

By an Act of Congress, approved May 22, 1917, the President is authorized, whenever a sufficient
national emergency exists, to transfer to the service and jurisdiction of the war department or navy depart-ment such vessels, equipment, or personnel of the Coast and Geodetic Survey as he may deem to the best interest of the country, the personnel so transferred to have proper military rank. When such national emergency ceases, the vessels, equipment, and personnel shall be returned to the Coast and Geodetic Survey.
The Secretary of War, the Secretary of the Navy, and the Secretary of Commerce jointly prescribe regulations governing the duties to be performed by the Coast and Geodetic Survey in time of war, and for the cooperation of that service with the War and Navy Departments in time of peace in preparation for its duties in war.
Coast and Geodetic Survey Uniforms, The insignia of rank for white uniforms is worn on the shoulder loops similarly to that of the Army.
On all other uniforms it is worn on the sleeve similarly to the Navy.
HAPPY CHRISTMAS ALL.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by wfrad on Sat 30 Jul 2022, 1:30 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Removed Photobucket)

wfrad

Back to top Go down

US Navy add-on WWI Empty Re: US Navy add-on WWI

Post  ChrisF202 Tue 23 Dec 2008, 7:57 am

Very interesting Bill, I have never heard of this organization.

Were they a precursor to the modern National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (which also has commissioned officers with US Navy style ranks, insignia and uniforms)?

ChrisF202

Back to top Go down

US Navy add-on WWI Empty Read-on

Post  wfrad Tue 23 Dec 2008, 11:33 am

chris
I believe [what I found out from google] the NOAA was formed from three existing agencies .
The United States Coast and Geodetic Survey, formed in 1807.
The Weather Bureau, formed in 1870.
The Bureau of Commercial Fisheries , formed in 1871.
NOAA was established within the Department of Commerce via the Reorganization 1970. With its link to the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey the NOAA celebrated 200 years of service in 2007.
Have a gander at the link below, use the search and be prepared to spend some time reading.

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=navy%20uniforms
Regards
WF

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisF202 Tue 23 Dec 2008, 1:27 pm

wfrad wrote:chris
I believe [what I found out from google] the NOAA was formed from three existing agencies .
The United States Coast and Geodetic Survey, formed in 1807.
The Weather Bureau, formed in 1870.
The Bureau of Commercial Fisheries , formed in 1871.
NOAA was established within the Department of Commerce via the Reorganization 1970. With its link to the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey the NOAA celebrated 200 years of service in 2007.
Have a gander at the link below, use the search and be prepared to spend some time reading.

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=navy%20uniforms
Regards
WF
Very interesting link Bill, thanks Smile

ChrisF202

Back to top Go down

US Navy add-on WWI Empty United States Coast & Geodetic Survey

Post  hhbooker2 Thu 09 Apr 2009, 4:25 am

wfrad wrote:Here’s a chart for the Coast and Geodetic Survey From Military and Naval Recognition Book, a handbook on the organization, insignia of rank, and customs of the service of the world's important armies and navies by Leut. Comm. J. W. Bunkley U. S. Navy'.
Courtesy of the internet Archive and the University of California Libraries.
There’s only the basic details so forgive any mistakes. The first and second additions differ in that in the latter addition [1918] there's no badge above the rank badges on the shouler straps.
Again the Bird looks like a Christmas Turkey so you could say it's seasonal!

By an Act of Congress, approved May 22, 1917, the President is authorized, whenever a sufficient
national emergency exists, to transfer to the service and jurisdiction of the war department or navy depart-ment such vessels, equipment, or personnel of the Coast and Geodetic Survey as he may deem to the best interest of the country, the personnel so transferred to have proper military rank. When such national emergency ceases, the vessels, equipment, and personnel shall be returned to the Coast and Geodetic Survey.
The Secretary of War, the Secretary of the Navy, and the Secretary of Commerce jointly prescribe regulations governing the duties to be performed by the Coast and Geodetic Survey in time of war, and for the cooperation of that service with the War and Navy Departments in time of peace in preparation for its duties in war.
Coast and Geodetic Survey Uniforms, The insignia of rank for white uniforms is worn on the shoulder loops similarly to that of the Army.
On all other uniforms it is worn on the sleeve similarly to the Navy.
HAPPY CHRISTMAS ALL.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" In addition to the United States Coast Geodetic Survey and what is kinown about their commissioned officers and their uniforms and rank insignia, they also had seamen, petty officers, and chief petty officers in 1937 and perhaps into the Second World War? I collected a number of their ratings which show an eagle perched atop half a globe of the world, with their own specialty marks below the eagle device, with regulars chevrons like those worn by the United States Coast Guard and the United States Navy. The cap badge for officers changed its design several times. CPOs had their own cap badge too, the trangle in a circle atop an anchor, worn same way as a USCG CPO. During the First World War they could wear Army or Navy uniforms like the United States Public Health Service according to the uniform regulations I have for 1914 and 1937. USC&GS became NOAA in 1970 (National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration). I collect and scan original copies of Uniform Regulations of the USMC, USCG, USMC, USC&GS, and USPHS. Respectfully yours, Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California (hhbooker2@yahoo.com) POST SCRIPT: I email free scans daily to those who want to get them, no charge!

hhbooker2

http://www.americanvolunteerreserve.org

Back to top Go down

US Navy add-on WWI Empty NCO ranks

Post  wfrad Fri 10 Apr 2009, 8:27 am

Thanks Sarge,
Info on some of the less glamorous organisations is a little hard to find, for those of us outside of the USA.
Come across some of your other notes which are also very informative, lost the site details though, due to the Microsoft monster, the blue one, that always hits before you back up anything.

Regards
WF

wfrad

Back to top Go down

US Navy add-on WWI Empty United States Coast & Geodetic Survey (National Oceanic Atmospheric Association)

Post  hhbooker2 Sat 11 Apr 2009, 5:45 am

wfrad wrote:Thanks Sarge,
Info on some of the less glamorous organisations is a little hard to find, for those of us outside of the USA.
Come across some of your other notes which are also very informative, lost the site details though, due to the Microsoft monster, the blue one, that always hits before you back up anything.

Regards
WF

Dear WF: "Greetings & Salutations!" It is even difficult here to find material on lesser known sea services and such, sad to say! I obtained and scanned "Regulations Governing the Uniforms of Officers and Employees of the United States Public Health Service" (1914 and 1937) and a few page from "Uniform Regulations of the United States Coast & Geodetic Survey." I used to publish a newsletter called "CROW'S NEST" and it ran for well over 400 pages in 13 issues and I show actual rates worn by the USPHS and USC&S. I scanned the pages and if you want, I can email scans to you, ten at a time, slow process, of course, would have to send 44 separate emailings and hope that you can get them on your end. Email me at: hhbooker2@yahoo.com Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California

hhbooker2

Back to top Go down

US Navy add-on WWI Empty Naval Recognition Book

Post  wfrad Sat 11 Apr 2009, 7:52 am

Hi Sarge,
I have [downloaded from web] a pdf file of: Military & Naval Recognition Book – Bunkley, from 1917. Courtesy of the University of California and digitised by Mircorsoft.
Uniforms insignia [mostly the basics] of Belgian, Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia, Serbia and of course the USA which includes services such as the Lighthouse Service and the Geodetic Survey.
The file size is 13736KB and 266 pages.
If you don’t happen to have this file, and would like a copy, I would be only to pleased to forward it onto you.
I believe it is still possible to download it from http://www.archive.org/details/militarynavalrec00bunkrich
If the link doesn’t work, alternately I would be able to copy the rank charts and email those to you [or the full file if you have the time].
As for you offer of emailing you scans to me, than you that would be most appreciated and I have emailed you my email address.

wfrad

Back to top Go down

US Navy add-on WWI Empty Military & Naval Recognition Book (1917)

Post  hhbooker2 Sat 11 Apr 2009, 8:21 am

wfrad wrote:Hi Sarge,
I have [downloaded from web] a pdf file of: Military & Naval Recognition Book – Bunkley, from 1917. Courtesy of the University of California and digitised by Mircorsoft.
Uniforms insignia [mostly the basics] of Belgian, Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia, Serbia and of course the USA which includes services such as the Lighthouse Service and the Geodetic Survey.
The file size is 13736KB and 266 pages.
If you don’t happen to have this file, and would like a copy, I would be only to pleased to forward it onto you.
I believe it is still possible to download it from http://www.archive.org/details/militarynavalrec00bunkrich
If the link doesn’t work, alternately I would be able to copy the rank charts and email those to you [or the full file if you have the time].
As for you offer of emailing you scans to me, than you that would be most appreciated and I have emailed you my email address.

"GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" Thank you, WF, nice of you to reply so quickly. I've got all seven of Bunkley's book, that inclues those from WW2 as well. I will look for it and scan it again from cover to cover slong with Dion Williams' two books as well. I went to the website and signed up, thanks to you letting me know it is there. Downloaded from WW1 and WW1 U.S. Army Signal Corps photographs from there as well and posted them at http://www.usmilitariaforum.com as well and sent them to the people on my email list who I send free daily scans of them as well as scans of books, catalogues, etc., all U.S. and foreign insignia, medals, uniforms, etc. http://community.webshots.com/user/hhbooker2 http://community.webshots.com/user/eneryhodge http://community.webshots.com/user/clovis_lee_booker and http://community.webshots.com/user/hhbooker are photo albums of Insignia, over 6,000 images that I maintain free for anyone to see and download and use however they wish, WF! Thanks again for the information, WF! Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California

hhbooker2

Back to top Go down

Post  wfrad Sat 11 Apr 2009, 9:33 am

Sarge,
Where do you find the time, or don’t you sleep?
Very nice collection of rank slides, a great many of which you don’t see documented in most books.
I hope you have every one of them on file for the future.
Quality pictures of uniforms also.
Just one thing, how many in the soldiers link served with Grant at Appomattox?
You have a reference library that’s the envy of everyone.
Thanks again
WF

wfrad

Back to top Go down

US Navy add-on WWI Empty "Greetings & Salutations!

Post  hhbooker2 Sat 11 Apr 2009, 12:11 pm

wfrad wrote:Sarge,
Where do you find the time, or don’t you sleep?
Very nice collection of rank slides, a great many of which you don’t see documented in most books.
I hope you have every one of them on file for the future.
Quality pictures of uniforms also.
Just one thing, how many in the soldiers link served with Grant at Appomattox?
You have a reference library that’s the envy of everyone.
Thanks again
WF

"Greetings & Salutations! I take naps in the middle of the day and sleep so-so at night, but I spend ours at the computer. How many soldiers were present with General Grant at Appomattox? Other than four enlisted orderlies, one for each star he wore, a personal physician, and his general staff officers, that's about it! Of course other Union General Officers showed up, probably invited, but from other commands. General Lee showed up with his son-in-law and few others. They probably quartered at the home that night and likely shared a bed with other comrades as it was not then considered a bad thing to share a bed as there was so few beds in the defeated Confederate States like the Commonwealth of Virginia. Most militaria books tend not to show the ranks of their military, especially those about the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York. I have more than 30,000 insignia images, maybe more? Some websites were based on those photo albums, but they do not share credit with myself, however I share credit with others. I've illustrated for a few books on military insignia and they sometimes credit me as the artist, but my name is shown in very small type - that is expected! There are about 40 or more people named Herbert H. Booker, but I am the only Herbert Hillary Booker II, named after my father's father. My names are quite common and as I hated the nickname "Herb," I chose my army title Sergeant and show my adopted nickname as "Sarge." There is no one I know of named "Sarge Booker?" Wilf as in Wilfred? Had a friend named Wilfred in school. I thank you again for http://www.memory.loc.gov/ Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California

hhbooker2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down