Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uniforms of service battalions of British army 1914

2 posters

Go down

Uniforms of service battalions of British army 1914 Empty Uniforms of service battalions of British army 1914

Post  sbintayab Mon 13 Feb 2012, 4:33 pm

Hello everyone,
I have a simple query. I know some expert certainly help me to the query. In army list December 1914, I saw there are several service battalions in each regiment. But nothing is mentioned about their uniforms. My query is - What were the uniforms of these service battalions?
Thanks
Shams

sbintayab

Back to top Go down

Uniforms of service battalions of British army 1914 Empty Re: Uniforms of service battalions of British army 1914

Post  buistR Tue 14 Feb 2012, 11:30 am

Hi Shams.
As you probably already know the "service battalions" of the British infantry were the additional units raised after the outbreak of war in 1914 in order to absorb the influx of volunteers for Kitchener's new armies. Thus in December 1914 a given regiment would normally (there were some variations) comprise: 1st and 2nd Btns (regulars); 3rd Btn (Special Reserve); 4th and 5th Btns (territorials); 6th Btn + (service). As the peacetime regiments were quickly expanded the number of service battalions would multiply - up to perhaps 20 or more by the end of the war. In 1919 the SBs were disbanded and the regiments shrunk to their peactime establishments. As far as uniforms went, the SBs wore the standard khaki field dress and badge of their regiment - the distinctive scarlets, blues and greens of the peacetime regulars and territorials went into store upon mobilisation in August 1914 and were formally put into abeyance about two months later. Accordingly there was no need to provide special dress regulations for the SBs.

Hope this helps.

buistR

Back to top Go down

Uniforms of service battalions of British army 1914 Empty Re: Uniforms of service battalions of British army 1914

Post  sbintayab Wed 15 Feb 2012, 1:17 pm

Thanks buisR..........

sbintayab

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down