Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Pilot Badge

3 posters

Go down

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Pilot Badge Empty Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Pilot Badge

Post  corbo Tue 10 Jun 2008, 2:04 am

Hello everybody,
Can anyone tell me why the RN FAA Pilot/Observer badges are worn on the uniform's left sleeve, just above the rank badges, and not on the left breast, as Submarine Badge is? I suspect this was inherited from the WW1 RNAS, but in this case why did "they" carry their insignia that way? Thanks and regards.

corbo

Back to top Go down

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Pilot Badge Empty RNAS pilots

Post  wfrad Tue 10 Jun 2008, 7:40 am

At first officers of the naval wing weren’t entitled to have the curl on their sleeve lace, they weren’t regarded as part of the military branch. I believe the badge was to show the status of the naval wing over other non-military branch officers.
In July 1914 the Admiralty announced that the RNAS was to form part of the military branch, and from then on, officers of the RNAS wore the curl on their sleeve lace, and kept the badge.
I don’t believe a real reason was given in any Admiralty orders, to be honest I don't realy know, or if anybody knows.
Regards
WF

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Pilot Badge Empty RNAS Pilots

Post  corbo Fri 13 Jun 2008, 12:22 am

Thank you very much for your attention. Still hope somebody knows.

corbo

Back to top Go down

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Pilot Badge Empty RN FAA Pilot/Observer Badges

Post  hhbooker2 Thu 09 Apr 2009, 4:59 am

corbo wrote:Hello everybody,
Can anyone tell me why the RN FAA Pilot/Observer badges are worn on the uniform's left sleeve, just above the rank badges, and not on the left breast, as Submarine Badge is? I suspect this was inherited from the WW1 RNAS, but in this case why did "they" carry their insignia that way? Thanks and regards.

"GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" Same reasoning for wearing the badge on the lower left sleeve could be asked why the Parachute badge is worn on the ypper right arm above chevrons instead of over the pockets. Or the parachutist badge without wings worn on the lower right sleeve. Respectfully yours, Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California

hhbooker2

http://www.americanvolunteerreserve.org

Back to top Go down

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Pilot Badge Empty Re: Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Pilot Badge

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down