Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pipers of the Gordons

2 posters

Go down

Pipers of the Gordons Empty Pipers of the Gordons

Post  pittorf Wed 11 May 2011, 1:50 am

I am aware, thanks to this forum, that the Scottish pipers doublet color was switched to "piper green" during the 1850's, but I have a Phonex catalog which states that the doublets of the pipers of the Gordons were red/scarlet. Can anyone furnish a date that this change took place. I am painting a Britains figure and want to render the correct doublet color in order to date it.
Thanks in advance.
Pittorf

pittorf

Back to top Go down

Pipers of the Gordons Empty Re: Pipers of the Gordons

Post  buistR Wed 11 May 2011, 7:06 pm

W.Y. Carman in his book "Uniforms of the British Army - the Infantry Regiments" states in the section on Highland pipers that "In 1854 pipers were allowed on the establishment of the Army - one pipe-major and five pipers for each regiment. In 1855 the doublet was taken into wear by Highland regiments so the pipers were no longer unique in the wearing of this "four-flapped" document. Plain green was to be the colour for pipers and the plain glengarry was to be their head-dress". Carman does not make any specific reference to pipers of the Gordons and it is possible that as a regimental "tribal" eccentricity they wore red/scarlet for a while. However I have not seen any reference to this. Certainly there are a number of colour prints from the 1880s on showing Gordon pipers in the same green doublets as the other Highland regiments.

As a footnote, pipers prior to 1854 (i.e. during their unofficial period) seem to have worn coatees (not doublets) in either red or regimental tartan.

buistR

Back to top Go down