Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British Red Tunic

4 posters

Go down

British Red Tunic Empty British Red Tunic

Post  donkav Wed 20 Jan 2010, 11:29 pm

Dear All

Can anyone give me some more information on this British ( I believe) Red Tunic.

Thanks

Don

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

donkav

Back to top Go down

British Red Tunic Empty Re: British Red Tunic

Post  buistR Thu 21 Jan 2010, 8:01 am

Hi Don. Your photos show a mess jacket, probably worn by a British Army officer for formal evening dress. It is a "cavalry style" garment - fastened at the neck and cut away to show a regimental pattern waist coat. By contrast "infantry style" mess jackets were open at the front to show a black bow tie and shirt front. However the amalgamations of recent years have led to some infantry regiments and corps adopting the cavalry style. For example the modern Adjutant General's Corps wears a jacket closely resembling the one shown (with a dark blue waistcoat) but then so does the Royal Dragoon Guards and several other cavalry and infantry regiments. Mess uniforms date back to about the 1850s and have undergone repeated changes over the years, even within the same unit. The colours normally match those of the full dress tunics of a given regiment as worn universally until 1914 and by officers at levees and other occasional ceremonies until 1939. So in short: (i) it is probably an officer's garment (senior NCOs and Warrant Officers usually wear a simpler style without the gold braid shown) ; (ii) it is probably British Army (Canadian, Australian, New Zealand and other Commonwealth armies usually favour the "infantry style" jacket); (iii) if it is an older garment then it is likely to be that of one of the seven Dragoon or Dragoon Guard regiments that historically wore scarlet with dark blue or black facings. Without regimental pattern waistcoats, epaulettes or collar badges (the latter two often not worn with mess uniform) it is hard to be more precise.

buistR

Back to top Go down

British Red Tunic Empty jacket

Post  wfrad Thu 21 Jan 2010, 11:12 am

The 3rd hussars also had a red jacket for mess dress.
I believe that around 1900 most officers mess dress had shoulder cords.
There's no sign of any form of rank insignia ever being worn as for senior nco's so I's go along with what buistR has said.
A close-up of the lace may help,
Regards
WF

wfrad

Back to top Go down

British Red Tunic Empty Thanks you for the wealth of info

Post  donkav Thu 21 Jan 2010, 3:10 pm

Many thanks buistR and WF,

I have been looking trying to find information for ages. I should have simply come here before (had I known)
I dont have a really clear photo of the Lace but have attached 3 more photo that might help abit more.

I have had this jacket as part of my collection for 20 years so will be sad to see it go, as I must seek to seel my collection soon. Crying or Very sad

Thanks
Don

donkav

Back to top Go down

British Red Tunic Empty Victorian ?

Post  zipperheads9 Wed 09 Jun 2010, 1:59 pm

Thgis not Vistorian ,and I have seen Victorian period infantry officers mess kit the is not open to the frot ,but does not have the lower cut of the tails,it was more squred off. the Candian militia mess kit ,i have seen has a vest under it ans is trimmed in regimental colours. But nice mess jacket ,i am guessing Sr officer?

zipperheads9

Back to top Go down

British Red Tunic Empty tunic

Post  wfrad Fri 11 Jun 2010, 9:07 pm

Unfortunately the dress regulations don’t show rear views of all mess dress.
Depending on date, regiment and even location the mess dress variations during the Victorian period are quite numerous.
Regiment with open, closed, square and rounded collars along with changes in regimental lace makes it very hard to place without badges.
Still believe it could be Victorian or possibly Edwardian, maybe cavalry of below field rank
The problem is lack of shoulder cords/straps, badges and labels.
I’m no expert by far so I’m just giving an opinion.
Regards
WF

wfrad

Back to top Go down

British Red Tunic Empty Re: British Red Tunic

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down