Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Royal Navy shore duty ,Palestine 1937

4 posters

Go down

Royal Navy shore duty ,Palestine 1937 Empty Royal Navy shore duty ,Palestine 1937

Post  Les-Art Sun 27 Sep 2009, 2:48 am

Found this photo on JAMD and it is quite interesting as far as the uniforms are concerned.

These are Royal Navy sailors doing shore duty of searching suspects before entering the docks area during the troubles in Palestine during 1937.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f88/13/98/25/75/britih11.jpg
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Of particular note is the sun helmet and blue collar on the guy on the right. Is he a rank of some type ? The sailor on the left appears to be wearing a 'Sennet' hat and has a plain collar.

The gaiters seem quite old fashioned, 'Boer War' leftovers perhaps?

Any comments?

Regards,
Les

Les-Art

Back to top Go down

Royal Navy shore duty ,Palestine 1937 Empty Re: Royal Navy shore duty ,Palestine 1937

Post  ChrisF202 Sun 27 Sep 2009, 4:00 am

If you look closely at the sailor on the right you can see some sort of insignia on his upper sleeve. Looks like a rating badge of some sort.

Is the figure on the far left a Palestine Police constable?

ChrisF202

Back to top Go down

Royal Navy shore duty ,Palestine 1937 Empty Re: Royal Navy shore duty ,Palestine 1937

Post  Les-Art Sun 27 Sep 2009, 4:16 am

Well spotted on the sleeve insignia, hadn't noticed it before.

The man on the far left is NOT a member of the Palestine Police.

Everyone had uniforms then but it is difficult to tell what he might be, there is no badge on his sunhelmet and if his uniform was more prestine I would say he is a sergeant major of some type by the way he is standing with a swagger stick. He definately thinks he is in charge of something!!

Regards,
Les

Les-Art

Back to top Go down

Royal Navy shore duty ,Palestine 1937 Empty UNEF perhaps!

Post  wfrad Sun 27 Sep 2009, 7:38 am

Les, At the risk of making a complete idiot of myself!

There is a possibility that they are actually French, not likely but!

The NCO or Officer on the right appears to have a rank bar on the lower sleeve so he could be an Ensign, Senior PO or even army.
The sailor to the left appears to have a plain collar.

French navy helmets also sometimes had a dark name band around the brim and the chin strap over the peak.

If he’s British army, then to have a swagger stick he’s most likely would be a senior NCO but there doesn’t appear to be any rank visible.

The Palestine Police insignia I believe would also have shown up clearly on this photo.

Gaiters [which look USA] and equipment of various design were worn by nations until old wartime stock was depleted which doesn’t help.
Could they be part of the UNEF force?
Who said it had to be easy...
Regards
WF

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Royal Navy shore duty ,Palestine 1937 Empty Palestine Customs

Post  Sean Tue 29 Sep 2009, 3:47 pm

Its a great picture and is of the British Mandate of Palestine.
I have seen the sailors in other pictures, and was intending to do an illustration of them.
The guy on the left is Palestine Customs. This isn't a guess because I have another set of photos showing their uniform and this guy is part of that. No badges just the 'air of authority'.
Thanks for a good picture Les.

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum