Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ruthenian Army, 1938

2 posters

Go down

Ruthenian Army, 1938 Empty Ruthenian Army, 1938

Post  Animal Tue 15 Apr 2008, 2:46 pm

Most of this uniform is clearly from Czechoslovak Army stocks, but I don't recognize the open-collared tunic. Was this officially adopted by the Ruthenian Army? One would think that Ruthenia would scarcely have had enough time during its short existence to design a new uniform or insignia, let alone have them manufactured and issued.

Ruthenian Army, 1938 38ruthenia

Last edited by Animal on Fri 27 Jun 2008, 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Animal

Back to top Go down

Ruthenian Army, 1938 Empty Re: Ruthenian Army, 1938

Post  Admin Tue 15 Apr 2008, 3:25 pm

Hi Animal,
Nice to have you on board.
There was no Ruthenian army as such. The Sich were a 'sporting' organisation that practiced military drill. When Ruthenia gained its independence the authorities turned to the Sich to provide some form of defence against Hungary.
There were only a few thousand in the Sich from memory, bolstered by local volunteers.
The Sich uniform is described as grey green to differentiate it from the Czech Army, and in the pattern illustrated. A 'Ukrainian' style cap was usually worn.
With the coming of war the Sich got hold of any weapons and equipment it could. Hence the Czech helmet, rifle, belt order and khaki puttees shown in the plate.
I am unsure what rank insignia was used by the Sich.
Attached is an Officer of the Sich.
https://i.servimg.com/u/f42/12/22/09/10/ruth210.gif
The light blue and silver collar tab is speculative, although the shape is shown in a photograph. All uniform details of both illustrations come from contemporary photographs.
Hope this helps.

Admin
Admin

http://uotw.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Animal Tue 15 Apr 2008, 3:30 pm

Thanks!! Yeah, I was kinda wondering about whether Ruthenia would've had enough time to organize an army, although groups like the Sich could certainly have served as its nucleus, along with Ruthenians who had served in the Czechoslovak military.

Animal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down