Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cook islands defence force WW2 ?

3 posters

Go down

Cook islands  defence force WW2 ? Empty Cook islands defence force WW2 ?

Post  oblongz Fri 14 Mar 2014, 8:15 pm

Hello,

did the Cook islands (north of New Zealand) have a volunteer defence force WW2 ?

Or perhaps an armed constabulary ?

Ken.

oblongz

Back to top Go down

Cook islands  defence force WW2 ? Empty Cook Islands military

Post  wfrad Sun 16 Mar 2014, 9:23 pm

Ken,
I was hoping someone with more knowledge would have answered.
As far as I'm aware the Islands defence was and is the responsibility of New Zealand.
I do know that during the war there was some friction between New Zealand and America due to American airman.  The airman claiming that the islanders were being treated unfairly and that New Zealand was acting towards them like an old colonial power.
A little hypocritical when you take into account the treatment dished out to African Americans serving in their own forces.  
Regards
WF

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Cook islands  defence force WW2 ? Empty Re: Cook islands defence force WW2 ?

Post  Raja Tue 15 Apr 2014, 7:35 pm

Hi ,

i don't think there was a DF , if there was someone must have found some information.

I would guess an armed police force would be the islands local DF as in the Solomon Islands.

Just looking through the collections /products and see the "Uniforms of the British pacific 1891-2006 " has a constable of the Cook islands police force 1909 mentioned. Not too sure what of the illustrations it is though, as there are 107 illustrations shown but only 98 units listed.

Ranjit.

Raja

Back to top Go down

Cook islands  defence force WW2 ? Empty Re: Cook islands defence force WW2 ?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down