Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Indian Imperial Police rank badges

3 posters

Go down

The Indian Imperial Police rank badges Empty The Indian Imperial Police rank badges

Post  sbintayab Sun 17 Feb 2013, 1:02 pm

Hello,
Anyone know about the rank badges of Indian Imperial Police (Superior and Subordinate) rank badges??
Thanks
Shams

sbintayab

Back to top Go down

The Indian Imperial Police rank badges Empty Re: The Indian Imperial Police rank badges

Post  ChrisF202 Sun 17 Feb 2013, 1:19 pm

All believe all British colonial police forces followed the same basic British Police style pattern of ranks and insignia. This is something I am interested in finding out myself.

Check this out, it's brief but it may be helpful:
www.bl.uk/reshelp/findhelpregion/asia/india/indiaofficerecordsfamilyhistory/occupations/indianpoliceservices/police.html
The Indian Police Services belong to the Special Civil Service of India. India Act 13 of 1856 reformed the municipal police administration in the three Presidency capitals (Calcutta, Madras, Bombay). They were each placed under a Commissioner who was responsible directly to the Governor of the Province. India Act 5 of 1861 established a uniform system of police administration throughout British India with an Inspector General at the head of the police in each province.

The Superior Police Services, later known as the Indian (Imperial) Police, consisted of an Inspector General, Deputy Inspectors General, District Superintendents and Assistant District Superintendents. The Subordinate Police Service in each province consisted of Inspectors, Sub-Inspectors, Head Constables and Constables. The rank of Sergeant (equivalent to Head Constable) also existed but was mainly confined to Europeans or Eurasians who served in the City forces or in cantonments.

The Indian Police (Superior) Service in its earlier days included many European officers of the Indian Army. Before 1893 appointments to all senior grades (i.e. Assistant District Superintendent and above) were made locally in India. From 1893 most new entrants to the top échelon were appointed by examination or selection in the UK. In the lower branch, the Subordinate Services were mainly constituted of Indians with some Europeans and Eurasians in the higher ranks. The Indian Police structure was again changed in 1905 when the rank of Deputy Superintendent with four grades was created within the subordinate services. The term 'Provincial Service' was used to refer to these four grades.

ChrisF202

Back to top Go down

The Indian Imperial Police rank badges Empty Re: The Indian Imperial Police rank badges

Post  sbintayab Mon 18 Feb 2013, 3:24 am

Dear ChrisF202,
Thanks for your reply. But I don't think so. Because, in British Police rank badges, IG,DIG wear cross batons with wreath and combinations of crown and pips. But in Indian Imperial Police system, they wore cross baton and sabre with combination of crown and five pointed star. In subordinate police services, Inspectors, Sub inspectors wear combination of five pointed stars and red-blue lace to distinguish European, Eurasian from Indian origins.
Besides, the police officer of using rank pattern crown and two stars didn't use any collar tab which is totally unfamiliar with British Police rank badge system. please visit following weblink to help you to understand.
http://uppolice.up.nic.in/DGP_Archive/dg19-35.swf
Thanks
Shams

sbintayab

Back to top Go down

Post  sbintayab Sat 23 Feb 2013, 9:31 am

Hello,
Today, I have downloaded two Indian Police Act 1861 and amendment version of 1902. From latter version, rank of Indian Imperial Police was-
1. Superior Services:
a. Inspector General of Police (Head of the state police)
b. Deputy Inspector General of Police (Head of Range Police) or Commissioner of Four cities (Madras, Bombay, Calcutta and Rangoon)
c. Superintendent of Police (Head of District Police)
d. Assistant Superintendent of Police (Head of sub divisionsal Police, specially main sub division of a district)

2. Sub ordinate services:
a. Deputy Superintendent of Police (Head of sub divisional Police).
b. Inspector of Police (Head of circle Police)
c. Sub Inspector of Police (Head of Police station)
d. Sergeant (One for each police station and should be European or Eurasian)
e. Head constable
f. Naik
g. Constables

Can anyone tell me about the badges of the above ranks please?
Thanks
Shams

sbintayab

Back to top Go down

Post  sbintayab Sat 23 Feb 2013, 2:09 pm

Hello,
Finally I got full information about the Indian Imperial Police rank badges from several Police manuals.
I have produced the rank badges of superior services of Indian Imperial Police (1902-1947) -
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Next I will add subordinate services...
Cheers
Shams

Last edited by sbintayab on Mon 25 Feb 2013, 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total

sbintayab

matrix7753 likes this post

Back to top Go down

The Indian Imperial Police rank badges Empty Indian Imperial Police

Post  wfrad Sat 23 Feb 2013, 11:01 pm

Sham,
Nice images.
Having searched for images of the colonial police, without success, I can only make the assumption
that they would have just replaced the crown with the national insignia and the British sword and baton with the Indian version.
I'm surprised that the Inspector General of Police was badged as a Colonel, stars and crown.
I had assumed that the two senior ranks would have been on par with their senior British officers and badged with maybe crossed baton and sword, leaving the Superintendents 3rd and 4th grades taking stars and crowns.
Just goes to show that you can't take anything for granted.
Regards
WF

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Post  sbintayab Sun 24 Feb 2013, 9:02 am

Dear Wilf,
I have produced the image from the Bengal Police manual 1911 and Eastern Bengal and Assam Police manual 1912. Right now I got two another manuals (Bengal Police regulations 1923 and 1943). In Police manual 1953, Inspector General of Police of India rank badge was cross sword and baton and five pointed star. At that time, India was republic. Besides, in Indian Army and Police services still maintain British pattern cross sword and baton. When I did my advanced computer course in Indian Signal Corps Centre, Mhow in 2010, I saw Indian army Lieutenant General wore same cross sword and baton like British pattern. But Bangladesh and Pakistan army changed the sword and baton pattern and introduced their own country sword patterns.
I hope that, I will add more images regarding subordinate services.
Thanks
Shams

sbintayab

Back to top Go down

The Indian Imperial Police rank badges Empty Link of Police Uniforms of the world

Post  sbintayab Wed 06 Mar 2013, 4:18 am

sbintayab

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down