Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Polish Legion for the Crimea, 1854

3 posters

Go down

Polish Legion for the Crimea, 1854 Empty Polish Legion for the Crimea, 1854

Post  Sean Sun 30 Dec 2012, 12:23 pm

This is an extract from a Tasmanian newspaper (the Colonial Times), 1854.
It tells of a Polish contingent being formed to serve in the Crimea.
Uniform details are provided.

Polish Legion for the Crimea, 1854 54tkle10

Sean

Back to top Go down

Polish Legion for the Crimea, 1854 Empty Re: Polish Legion for the Crimea, 1854

Post  zaptie Tue 05 Jan 2016, 5:46 am

italian , german and swiss Legions whre formed but not a polish one.

zaptie

Back to top Go down

Polish Legion for the Crimea, 1854 Empty British French Polish Legion

Post  wfrad Sat 06 Aug 2016, 9:17 am

I believe that the French and British sponsored the creation of a Polish legion under the command of Zamoyski.
The legion was equipped by the Western powers but disguised with the name of the ‘Sultan’s Cossacks’ to fight against the Russians in the Crimea and the Caucasus.  
Technically I suppose you could say that there wasn't an official British Polish Legion.  
If not official but equiped and paid for by the British and French, wouldn't that have made them British and French mercenaries?
There appears to have being some reluctance on the part of the British government to own up to the formation of a Polish legion.
There was however questions about the legion asked in parliament.
To find either the questions, or the answers to those questions you may need a shovel or two.

Below is the reply to Major Stawiarski, Polish Army, regarding his letter to the Earl o Aberdeen, who at the time was First Lord of the Treasury.
Dowing Street, April 13 1854.
Sir-
I am desired by my Lord Aberdeen to acknowledge the receipt of the letter you addressed to him on the 3rd instant, in which, adverting to the declaration of war by England and France against Russia, you express a hope, on behalf of yourself and your countrymen residing at Portsmouth, that her Majesty's Government will allow you to form a Polish Legion, which being supplied with munitions of war shall fight side by side with the English and French troops against the common enemy and I am to acquaint you that your letter has been referred for consideration of the Secretary of State for War and the Colonies.
I have the honour to be, sir,
Your Obedient servant,
Clinton G, Dawkins,

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Polish Legion for the Crimea, 1854 Empty Re: Polish Legion for the Crimea, 1854

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down