Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can anyone please ID this set of equipment for me?

2 posters

Go down

Can anyone please ID this set of equipment for me? Empty Can anyone please ID this set of equipment for me?

Post  Sean Fri 18 May 2012, 7:11 am

Worn by sailors of the colonial Victorian navy, 1890s
Thanks

Can anyone please ID this set of equipment for me? Vicnav10
https://i.servimg.com/u/f42/12/22/09/10/vicnav10.jpg

Sean

Back to top Go down

Can anyone please ID this set of equipment for me? Empty Re: Can anyone please ID this set of equipment for me?

Post  BlueTrain Thu 13 Jun 2013, 3:48 am

If you're still interested, the earliest references I've seen to official Royal Naval gear was for the Pattern 1901 Naval Accroutrements. I don't what previous patterns looked like but probably not much different. At any rate, it looks like the man stooped over the gun is wearing the two ammo pouches in the rear, rather than in the front, possibly to make it easier to bend over. The 1901 set, entirely of leather, did have a pair of cross straps like he has and the previous pattern probably did, too. The set was provided with a frog for the cutlass seen in the photo or a bayonet. The complete set included a haversack, a mess tin and cover/carrier, a water bottle and a kit bag, none of which are visible in the photo and were unlikely to be worn on board ship anyway. It continued in use, I think, until after WWI until replaced with Mills web gear, which also included provision for carrying a cutlass.

BlueTrain

Back to top Go down