Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dutch uniforms 1900s

4 posters

Go down

Dutch uniforms 1900s Empty Dutch uniforms 1900s

Post  Sean Mon 02 May 2011, 6:23 pm

Dutch uniforms at the beginning of the 20th century
http://www.nederlandneutraal.nl/beheer/viewartikel.php?pagina=22

Sean

Back to top Go down

Dutch uniforms 1900s Empty Another site

Post  Sean Tue 03 May 2011, 2:54 pm

Another, more encompassing, site
http://www.nederlandsemilitaria.com

But you need to join to see anything, looks good so far

Sean

Back to top Go down

Dutch uniforms 1900s Empty Re: Dutch uniforms 1900s

Post  buistR Thu 05 May 2011, 6:55 am

Thanks very much for posting these links Sean - very interesting.

Another useful source of illustrations on Dutch uniforms is the huge official database "Memory of the Netherlands". Once in it you can track any number of sub-categories. For example "mobilisatie 1914" has 20 odd pages of photographs and colour prints of the Dutch military during the transition period of 1914-18.

buistR

Back to top Go down

Post  mconrad Thu 05 May 2011, 12:06 pm

buistR wrote:Thanks very much for posting these links Sean - very interesting.

Another useful source of illustrations on Dutch uniforms is the huge official database "Memory of the Netherlands". Once in it you can track any number of sub-categories. For example "mobilisatie 1914" has 20 odd pages of photographs and colour prints of the Dutch military during the transition period of 1914-18.

Thank you for pointing out this site. For some reason this photo is on the site, although it shows US soldiers in China before World War II, and doesn't seem to have any connection with the Netherlands at all. US_China_Memory_Of_The_Netherlands

mconrad

Back to top Go down

Dutch uniforms 1900s Empty Another from MEMORY OF THE NETHERLANDS - Portuguese officers, 1919

Post  mconrad Thu 05 May 2011, 12:43 pm

I guess these are interned Portuguese who should soon be going home.

Port_MEMORY_OF-THE_NETHERLANDS

mconrad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Fri 06 May 2011, 5:25 am

I got on the netherlands militaria site the other day, there's some excellent stuff on it. I asked a question regarding facings for Burgerwacht units and got a really hard time about it. Really made me angry to have to justify myself, because 'this is a dutch forum', or at least that's what Google came up with. And that was one of the polite statements. Very disappointing, hope I don't do that here.

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post  buistR Fri 06 May 2011, 9:32 am

Mc: Yes - quite a number of allied troops blundered across the Dutch frontier, especially during the mobile warfare of August-September 1914 and had to spend the next few years interned. They were probably the lucky ones when you consider what their counterparts had to endure on the Western Front. The Portuguese had an expeditionary force numbering about 40,000 in France from January 1917 on. The mixture of coloured peacetime and drab service uniforms shown in this and other pictures of about-to-be-repatriated internees are probably accounted for by clothing and other supplies sent by their home countries - I think the Red Cross arranged this sort of assistance for POWs and internees during both World Wars.

buistR

Back to top Go down

Post  Animal Fri 06 May 2011, 2:55 pm

buistR wrote: I think the Red Cross arranged this sort of assistance for internees during both World Wars.

According to Cathryn J. Prince,s SHOT FROM THE SKY: American POWs in Switzerland(Naval Institute Press, 2003), US airmen interned in Switzerland during WWII continued wearing the clothing they had been in when they were shot down or forced to land in Swiss territory, which is ironic considering that the International Red Cross is located there.

Animal

Back to top Go down

Dutch uniforms 1900s Empty Foreign Forums etiquette

Post  mconrad Mon 09 May 2011, 7:40 am

Sean wrote:I got on the netherlands militaria site the other day, there's some excellent stuff on it. I asked a question regarding facings for Burgerwacht units and got a really hard time about it. Really made me angry to have to justify myself, because 'this is a dutch forum', or at least that's what Google came up with. And that was one of the polite statements. Very disappointing, hope I don't do that here.

I think you have to write in very plain English, in simple sentences. Then have Google translate into the target language, and post that translation to the foreign forum. Avoid technical terms that Google might not translate faithfully, which means getting your question across without using words like "facings" and "piping."

I'm sorry the Dutch forum was rude to you.

Mark

mconrad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down