Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Badge of the Zion Mule Corps, 1915-1916

Go down

Badge of the Zion Mule Corps, 1915-1916 Empty Badge of the Zion Mule Corps, 1915-1916

Post  Per Finsted Fri 29 Oct 2010, 5:51 am

Having bought the new CD "Uniforms of the Mandates of Palestine & Transjordan, 1915-1948", which is very informative and highly recommended, I discovered that information of the badge worn by the Zion Mule Corps may be of interest.

In the 1916 book "With the Zionists in Gallipoli" by Lieutenant-Colonel J.H. Patterson, Commanding-Officer of the Zion Mule Corps, and later of the 38th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers, Patterson provides the following information of the badge worn by the Zion Mule Corps, on p.40:

"For our badge we had the "Magin David," an exact reproduction of the Shield of David, such as he perhaps used when, as the Champion of Israel, he went out to fight Goliath of Gath."

Two samles of the badge - a Star of David placed in the centre of 3 circles - are provided in the book, on the cover and on the title page, as well as the following text:

"The Shield of David shown on the cover and title-page formed the badge of the Zion Mule Corps."

However, no information about the colour of the bade seems to be given in the book, , nor where it was worn, e.g. on the shoulders, but I presume it must at least have been blue, like the original Star/Shield of David (Magen David) [See Star of David (Wikipedia)].

A simalar blue badge, without the 3 circles, was used later by the 38th Battalion, as also provided in the Sean's CD.

Patterson's book is available online With the Zionists in Gallipoli from the University of California Libraries.

The following extracts derives from the online version of Patterson's book.
https://i.servimg.com/u/f25/12/45/40/62/extrac12.jpg

An other version of the Zion Mule Corps badge - only the Star of David - is found in The Jewish Legion in Palestine World War One,1914-1918 (Jewish East End of London Photo Gallery), see the illustration "Theatre of operations of Jewish Legion and various corps badges"

Further, in case you are interested in more history of the Jewish Legion, Patterson's book from 1922 - With the Judaeans in the Palestine campaign - is also available online With the Judaeans in the Palestine campaign from the University of California Libraries.

Some time ago, I wrote a small article (in Danish) which was published on the www.chakoten.dk website - see The Zion Mule Corps (1915) and The Jewish Legion (1917-1918), here translated via Google.

Best regards,
Per

Per Finsted

Back to top Go down