Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Name, rank, unit, date - but can someone tell me... Canada? New Zealand?

5 posters

Go down

Name, rank, unit, date - but can someone tell me... Canada?  New Zealand? Empty Name, rank, unit, date - but can someone tell me... Canada? New Zealand?

Post  mconrad Sun 06 Jun 2010, 8:29 am

You'd think this photo has all the necessary information, but I don't know enough to say what country he's from. Any opinions?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

mconrad

Back to top Go down

Name, rank, unit, date - but can someone tell me... Canada?  New Zealand? Empty which country

Post  wfrad Sun 06 Jun 2010, 12:24 pm

Both Canada and South Africa had a number of mounted rifle Regts from before WWI to the 1920/30’s.
I believe that only the South Africans had one numbered 19.
To make things a little more difficult the collar badge is quite hard to make out.
Most of the cap badges for the Canadian Mounted Rifles had the leaf incorporated into the design, but I'm afraid I don't have any idea about their collar badges, which could possibly be quite different.
NO help!!

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Name, rank, unit, date - but can someone tell me... Canada?  New Zealand? Empty Re: Name, rank, unit, date - but can someone tell me... Canada? New Zealand?

Post  Sean Sun 06 Jun 2010, 3:00 pm

18th Canadian Light Horse. And a nice picture to boot.

Sean

Back to top Go down

Name, rank, unit, date - but can someone tell me... Canada?  New Zealand? Empty Re: Name, rank, unit, date - but can someone tell me... Canada? New Zealand?

Post  buistR Sun 06 Jun 2010, 5:39 pm

Yep - the Canadian 18th Light Horse (renamed the 18th Mounted Rifles by General Order 2 of 1912). Became the Manitoba Mounted Rifles in 1920. Collar badge shown was a "British bull-dog standing on a scroll bearing the motto "UT IRRUANT OMNES ("Aggressive in Attack")". As a senior NCO he appears to be wearing dark blue patrols but a coloured print representing a member of the Regiment in 1914 shows a scarlet tunic with khaki breeches and stetson. Presumably full dress - though some Canadian militia regiments were still wearing scarlet as late as 1914 for ordinary duties.

buistR

Back to top Go down

Post  wfrad Mon 07 Jun 2010, 3:34 am

Having a senior moment and misread the notes on the photograph as 19th Mounted Rifles,  not the 18th.
18th Collar
18th Cap
Just for info 19th cap]

Last edited by wfrad on Tue 19 Jul 2022, 10:16 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : replaced photobucket)

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Name, rank, unit, date - but can someone tell me... Canada?  New Zealand? Empty Thanks all! *NM*

Post  mconrad Mon 07 Jun 2010, 5:54 am

*NM*

mconrad

Back to top Go down

Name, rank, unit, date - but can someone tell me... Canada?  New Zealand? Empty Scarlets?

Post  zipperheads9 Wed 09 Jun 2010, 1:25 pm

Would those be Scatrlets or Blue Patrols?

zipperheads9

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down