Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

French Napoleonic Rank Chart

2 posters

Go down

French Napoleonic Rank Chart Empty French Napoleonic Rank Chart

Post  wfrad Wed 30 Dec 2009, 11:37 am

Here’s an attempt at a rank chart made up from several sources that contradicted each other, also the Junior Officers used to arrange the red lace strips on the straps into a diamond pattern.
My French is pathetic so feel free to correct mistakes.
Regards
WF
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by wfrad on Tue 19 Jul 2022, 9:02 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : title change & Removed photobucket)

wfrad

Back to top Go down

French Napoleonic Rank Chart Empty Re: French Napoleonic Rank Chart

Post  ChrisF202 Wed 30 Dec 2009, 1:10 pm

Good work Bill! I assume this is Napoleonic era? If so I also have written descriptions for the generals rank insignia if you would like.

ChrisF202

Back to top Go down

French Napoleonic Rank Chart Empty Ranks

Post  wfrad Thu 31 Dec 2009, 10:56 am

Hi Chris
Yes Napoleonic era, hit the new topic button instead of reply and couldn't see an easy way to move it over into the Napoleonic topic, maybe it should be moved there?
I haven't put a full title simply because I may have needed to correct and re-post, picking your brains so to speak!
Generals appear to have worn, from over the top embroidery to the basic insignia required by regulations, unlike their juniors in that respect who appeared to do what they bloody well wanted, mainly cavalry who had a little bit more freedom.
Also the service chevrons were various shades also from orange to red.
The reference works I mainly chose to use were L&F Funcken L’Uniforme et les Armes des soldats du Premier Epire and Brassey's Napoleons Army which mainly complimented each other.
Most books show the generals in their full glory but fail to give a detailed description to the uniform insignia.
I believe the grades started with two stars on the crescent of the epaulettes but I’m unsure of the sequence.

This so far,
Marshal gold leaf embroidery on the coat seams at the sleeves and on the back along with double embroidery on the collar.
Generals in chief double row of embroidery on the collar cuffs and pocket with gold sash.
Generals of Divisions sash and three silver stars.
Generals of Brigades sash and two silver stars.
Finding good examples to copy have been a little harder to find than anticipated, most lack great detail and truth be known beyond my skills of reproduction.

Just in passing 'British Napoleonic Uniforms The First Complete Illustrated Guide to Uniforms, Facings and Lace by CE Franklin'.
Over three hundred pages on the British army of the period, again contradicts some other authors in minor details and some of the illustrations are quite small for those of us that require binoculars but a wealth of information.

Any help much appreciated!

Regards
WF

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisF202 Fri 01 Jan 2010, 1:29 am

IIRC correctly (I am on vacation and don't have access to my reference library) that the stars were 2 to 5 and that Marshals wore crossed batons in place of stars.

ChrisF202

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down