Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cyprus Police Badges - British Period

Go down

Cyprus Police Badges - British Period Empty Cyprus Police Badges - British Period

Post  Sean Fri 24 Apr 2009, 3:03 pm

Information from Les White on badges of the Cyprus Police

Attached is the information on the Cyprus Police 1920's - 30's badges.

It shows the metal cap badge in gold colour metal, they probably had a Brass one early on ,changed to gilted at some point up until the country became independent.

Then we have the qualification badges used on the sleeves, in cloth and thread embroidery, same quality as the British Army of the time.
Background colour would be Khaki for the summer uniform and Dark Blue for the winter one.

Marksman, crossed rifles. There may have been a highest shot version also used with crown above the rifles.

Lewis Gunner. The WW1 British Army design.

The First Aider badge is an illustration of the WW1 British Army one, couldn't find a photo of a real one.

The 'E' is an Artists Impression as I can't find out exactly what it looked like just that it was a Gothic 'E', it could have been more elaborate however this one is based on an excisting colonial design.

Bugler patch, I noticed that a couple of men in the photos in the book were wearing something on their right lower sleeve, on closer inspection I noted that they had bugles and the design is the same as the British Army one.

There is also mention of an Instructor rank, the guy shown is a corporal and he is wearing something above his stripes on the right sleeve. Although I can't make it out I suspect it is another British Army item. I'll do some more research.

The Service stripe, representing two years service, is of similar pattern to the Rank stripe but is more pointed, so is not just a rank stripe turned upside down.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/12/22/09/10/cyprus10.jpg
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sean

Back to top Go down

Cyprus Police Badges - British Period Empty Additional Uniform information from Les White

Post  Sean Fri 24 Apr 2009, 3:17 pm

The slouch hat worn between 1934/35 seems to be Light khaki in colour with a narrow leather band, about half the height of the one on a mounties hat, and a circular badge or pin holding the side up(more like a button).
The one shown as the 'official' 1936-39 one , appears to come in two colours, the one described above and a darker colour version with a badge on the front, the same badge shown as worn on the Officers Fez, the dark one has a shiny band which could be material like you got on 'civvies' fedoras of the time or it may be leather but half as high again as the band on the light coloured hat.
I would say that the earlier one was used as an experiment during the summer months, as the fez is still used with the winter uniform.
When they changed to the slouch hat as the official new headgear then the darker winter version comes into use. It is difficult to tell what the colour might be for the dark one, I would say Dark Blue but don't know if hats were made in this colour at that time.
The quality of the book I am using as reference is not good, as it was privately published and is poor quality paper, the photos are like xerox copies , so the detail is not great. If you want to track one down it is
KIBRIS POLIS ALBUMU
CYPRUS POLICE ALBUM
1878 -1989
by ALTAY SAYIL
He was a serving police officer at the time and started their Police Museum. He was a Police Insignia collector.
I will try to scan some of the pictures and see if I can improve the quality, but don't get your hopes up.

The 'POLICE GAZETTE magazine that the 1929 pictures came out of , unfortunately is lost forever, I traded for the pictures from a guy that cut them out of copies of the magazines which were being tossed out in a skip from an old police station. He thought that the pictures would be more useful than the articles that accompanied them. I suppoose we should be grateful that he rescued them, but I would have bought the whole magazines from him, well you take what you can get in this game. He had more with US and European pictures but traded them to another collector before me. From memory of reading other Police Gazettes the body of the articles mainly involved descriptions of police work within the countries but they did mention the uniforms and gave basic colour details. I might have look in the main reference library in Glasgow to see if they have any copies to look at, might get lucky and find the 1929 ones.

Sean

Back to top Go down