Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Private, New Zealand Infantry, 1913

3 posters

Go down

Private, New Zealand Infantry, 1913 Empty Private, New Zealand Infantry, 1913

Post  Greatscott Fri 13 Mar 2009, 7:42 pm

Gidday

Would be interested in your reference for this illustration – not saying that you are wrong but has not cropped up in my research of uniforms at this time. Have no problem with rifle or bayonet.

Some misgivings on hat Pugaree (accurate for after 1914) but questionable for before this date.

Hat is also questionable. At this stage, it is only 2 years after the Defence Act of 1911 and units were struggling to conform to new regulations. There were 16 Regiments of Infantry (1 battalion each) in the country, some had peaked caps (service caps like officers), some field service caps (khaki glengarries) and some wore wide brimmed hats. Of which some wore them folded up to the left, some to the right, some had a leather twisted pugaree, some plain cloth, some without, with some variations within the same battalion.

Most had no facings at all, as per regulations. The red piping on epaulettes is a left over from previous regime, which was as the Lieutenant Colonels decreed for their battalions, (if their respective companies of volunteers concurred) and in this case they would be wearing out old uniforms from the volunteers. It is not unusual to see several dress codes in the same companies for a couple of years during this time. Some had piping on trousers as well, generally red for infantry and blue for school cadets (who sometimes took part in manoeuvres).

I have never seen any pictures of New Zealand infantry at this time wearing shorts with the exception of senior school cadets. The first appearance to my knowledge of shorts with service dress tunic was on members of the Maori Pioneer Battalion at Trentham in summer of 1915/16.

All very confusing but quite chilly in my district at that time so am keen to learn your source.

Keep up the good work, like the new illustration style.

Graham Scott

Greatscott

Back to top Go down

Private, New Zealand Infantry, 1913 Empty Re: Private, New Zealand Infantry, 1913

Post  Sean Sun 15 Mar 2009, 9:58 pm

Hi Graham,
Welcome to the forum.
The illustrations is based on a photograph taken of NZ infantry in training in 1913.
He was definitely wearing shorts and it is noted in a couple of books I have read, but can't quote which one as the library is still in boxes. They were only a 'training' item and not worn for general duty (as I understand it).
The colours are taken from the 1912 Dress Regulations, including the hat which was definitely in wear at this time.
These regulations took the confusing mix of volunteer uniforms and standardised many items.
The three fold puggaree replaced earlier plaited and plain versions, with Corps' colours.

I would love more information on the uniforms before 1912 as I am working on a NZ volunteer disk at the moment.
Any help would be great.

Hope this clarifies my plate

Sean

Sean

Back to top Go down

Private, New Zealand Infantry, 1913 Empty Re: Private, New Zealand Infantry, 1913

Post  Greatscott Mon 16 Mar 2009, 5:44 pm

Hi Sean

Oh well when you find it I would be interested.

Mind you I not a authority on all of New Zealands forces as have concentrated on my neck of the woods which is Otago Southland. The only images where shorts are in evidence is with the Cadet units and then generally after WW1. No puttees just socks pulled up. We still wore these in the late 60's when I was at school during Barracks week although we had battle dress blouses by that time.

Quick note on the rifles. From 1902 until the Gallipoli campaign finished our infantry used the rifle illustrated Long Lee Enfield purchased from Canada for a couple of dollars each. Used old style cartridges and rounds were loaded separately. The mounted Rifles and the Engineers were lucky enough to have SMLE (first unit in New Zealand to get the were the Kelso Mounted Rifles a blackblocks volunteer unit in Otago) from 1905.

Cheers
G

Greatscott

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisF202 Tue 17 Mar 2009, 8:57 pm

Greatscott wrote:Hi Sean

Oh well when you find it I would be interested.

Mind you I not a authority on all of New Zealands forces as have concentrated on my neck of the woods which is Otago Southland. The only images where shorts are in evidence is with the Cadet units and then generally after WW1. No puttees just socks pulled up. We still wore these in the late 60's when I was at school during Barracks week although we had battle dress blouses by that time.

Quick note on the rifles. From 1902 until the Gallipoli campaign finished our infantry used the rifle illustrated Long Lee Enfield purchased from Canada for a couple of dollars each. Used old style cartridges and rounds were loaded separately. The mounted Rifles and the Engineers were lucky enough to have SMLE (first unit in New Zealand to get the were the Kelso Mounted Rifles a blackblocks volunteer unit in Otago) from 1905.

Cheers
G
I assume the SMLE's stayed in service until the adoption of the FN FAL or were they replaced with the Lee Enfield No 4 before WWII as was the case in the British Army? Dosent the NZ Army now carry that weird looking contraption from Austria?

ChrisF202

Back to top Go down

Post  Greatscott Tue 14 Apr 2009, 10:07 pm

I’m not the greatest authority on firearms but can tell you that the SMLE soldiered on and on. The Infantry of the 1st NZEF were rearmed with SMLEs in Egypt after they left Gallipoli equipped – from there they went to the Western Front in France. The Mounted Rifle Brigade stayed in the Middle East as paet of the ANZAC mounted Division probably keeping their early issue SMLEs.

New Zealand has always imported weapons from Linlithgow Arsenal in Australia so presume many of the latter stocks came from their.

The 2nd NZEF marched off to war with local stocks of SMLEs in 1939/40 and used them right through in Italy although I have seen photos of the No4 rifle in the same platoon as SMLEs. Whether they were equipped in NZ and came over as late replacements or because our guys are such great scroungers I can’t know but will try and find out.

After WW2 we imported lots of No4 rifles and as a high school cadet I trained on them in the 1960’s. The SLR was standard from about 1960 with the odd M-16. Again our guys in Vietnam had a habit of returning with more than they left with – it in our blood – after the FN SLR they seemed very flimsy and we called them PAGs for plastic army gun.

Currently our services use the Styer which is even more of a PAG. I haven’t fired them so can’t comment but I used to love my FN SLR and hit everything I ever pointed it at,

The FN and the Styer were both manufactured under license at Linlithgow, the No4 I had as a cadet was of Canadian manufacture and the sporterised (cut down woodwork) one I had for a while was made by Savage arms in USA. The first rifle I had was a Long Lee Enfield (spoterised), Enfield made and later I had a Aussie SMLE that was reworked. All shot very well but when I relaced them with a .270 I couldn’t believe the ballistics of the round.

Greatscott

Back to top Go down

Private, New Zealand Infantry, 1913 Empty Couple of pics

Post  Sean Fri 24 Apr 2009, 2:57 am

Found these in my folders.
Didn't influence the drawing, which was done some time ago, but show shorts in use about this time.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/12/22/09/10/68840_10.jpg
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/12/22/09/10/14400110.jpg
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post  Greatscott Fri 24 Apr 2009, 5:29 pm

Hi Sean

Great photos - very similar to images in the Auckland Weekly of 1915 showing soldiers of the reinforcement camps at Trentham and Featherston late 1915-16. (these are the earliest I have seen of adults as opposed to cadets wearing shorts). In Galipolli it was so hot everyone cut down their trousers into shorts as stated in official Galipolli history by Fred Waite.

see http://timeframes.natlib.govt.nz for lots of images of that period

Cheers
Graham

Greatscott

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down