Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Sarawak Rangers

3 posters

Go down

The Sarawak Rangers Empty The Sarawak Rangers

Post  Abadu Mon 20 Sep 2010, 7:17 am

Is their XIX uniform known? The only reference to their uniforms I've seen is from here (their 1928 uniform)...

Abadu

Back to top Go down

The Sarawak Rangers Empty Re: The Sarawak Rangers

Post  buistR Mon 20 Sep 2010, 8:52 pm

Hello Abadu - the uniforms worn by the Sarawak Rangers prior to World War I is a difficult subject to trace. Possibly because of the unique status of Sarawak (a private fief of the so-called "White Rajahs") they were overshadowed during Victorian times by the British North Borneo Dyak Police. The latter force (renamed the Armed Constabulary of North Borneo in 1903) served outside its own territory and sent contingents to Queen Victoria's Jubilee and the Coronation celebrations of 1903. Consequently their khaki drill uniforms and red fez-like headdresses were frequently illustrated - possibly the neighbouring Sarawak Rangers wore similar uniforms. The original Sarawak Rangers were a small force intended for ceremonial duties and internal policing work. It was only when the Rangers were re-established in 1953 and distinguished themselves as elite jungle tracking units during the Malaya Emergengency that they became well known outside Sarawak. In 1963 the Sarawak Rangers transferred to the army of the Federation of Malaysia and became the 1st Battalion of the Malaysia Rangers.

buistR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Tue 21 Sep 2010, 4:43 am

Their 19th century uniform was quite picturesque. It was white with three black braids on the front, and black piping on the cuff. A black pillbox style cap was worn, with the earlier Fortmen wearing a red version. British rank badges were used, later yellow on red. Brown leather equipment for their Snider carbines, from memory. I have a number of illustrations but was planning a Malaya disc fairly soon. The British officers also wore white, but the conventional tunic and trousers.

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post  Abadu Tue 21 Sep 2010, 6:47 am

Thank you for your replies! Sean, is it possible for you to show a picture? If not, there is no problem.
Also, just to check, the Sarawak Rangers were the only native forces of the kingdom of Sarawak, weren't they?

Abadu

Back to top Go down

Post  buistR Wed 22 Sep 2010, 5:28 am

I think so. The historian John Keegan describes them during the 1920s and 30s as performing ceremonial duties and acting in support of the police in the suppression of minor internal disturbances.

buistR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Wed 22 Sep 2010, 6:28 am

There were predecessors, the Fortmen who manned artillery pieces, but the Rangers remained the country's military force until 1928 (I think) when it was converted into the Sarawak Constabulary. Just prior to the second world war the Rangers were reconstituted and fought the Japanese. After the war they were again raised becoming a colonial unit within the British Army. They fought in Malaya and Borneo, and are now part of the Malaysian Army.

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down