Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello everyone

4 posters

Go down

Hello everyone Empty Hello everyone

Post  Billy Paul Wed 11 Mar 2009, 2:48 pm

Hello everyone! I am a new member of the forum and wanted to say hi. I have admired Sean's illustrations for several years on Axis History Forum. I am also very interested in uniforms, my particular favourite era being World War II and the 1930s. I am especially interested in the lesser-known militaries of the era, regardless of whether or not they actually participated in the fighting. Nepal for example. I have seen pictures of Nepal's gurkhas fighting in the British Army or (British) Indian Army but never Nepalese soldiers in the uniforms of their own army. Does someone here have information regarding the Nepalese Army's uniforms of the 1930s/WWII era? I have been wondering about them for the longest time. Great thanks in advance and I would like to say also thanks for a web forum devoted to uniforms. Best wishes to everybody.

Billy Paul

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone Empty Nepal Foot Guards 1970

Post  wfrad Thu 12 Mar 2009, 6:56 am

Paul
This may not be exactly what you may want, but here’s a rough example of the Maharajahs’ foot guards 1970's.  Details from Jack Cassin-Scott and John Fabb's Ceremonial Uniforms of the World.
The facing colours for the foot guards was dark green and white piping around the collar, cuffs and shoulder strap, with a white twisted cord hanging from each shoulder.
The buttons were of brass, six down the narrow the front of the single breasted tunic, three on the slashed cuffs.
The Gurkha headdress was green with three white bands , a green wool tuft top centre, cap badge was a brass coat of arms of the Maharajah.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by wfrad on Sat 30 Jul 2022, 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed Photobucket)

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone Empty Thanks!

Post  Billy Paul Thu 12 Mar 2009, 4:03 pm

Thanks Wfrad! Would I be guessing correctly that maybe the Nepalese Foot Guards' gala uniform would be something that has remained relatively unchanged for many decades, like the British Grenadier/etc. Guards' ceremonial uniform with the bearskin cap and bright red coat? For example, during World War II would the Nepalese Foot Guards be wearing a ceremonial uniform pretty similar to their 1970 counterparts? Great illustration and a very colourful uniform.

Billy Paul

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone Empty Uniform change

Post  wfrad Fri 13 Mar 2009, 5:26 am

The best person to answer you question would be probaly be Sean. I don't know if there was any major changes.
Regards
WF

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone Empty Hi Billy

Post  Sean Fri 13 Mar 2009, 2:28 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Yes...Nepal....difficult.
I have been trying to piece together information on Nepal and like you really enjoy the interwar period.
From what I have seen they followed the British Indian Army patterns in their general and field dress.
Ceremonial was quite different and I have attached a picture of an officer on parade.
I don't know the unit but I think its the dress uniform of the army as opposed to a Guardsman.
It was worn throughout the 20s and 30s, but in the latter period buttons were added to the edge of the cuff flap.
A better view of the unusual headdress can be seen in a contemporary photograph of the Guard on either Corbis or Getty Images. Type in Nepal guard or parade or soldier.

Officer, circa 1922
https://i.servimg.com/u/f82/12/22/09/10/22_of10.gif

Sean

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone Empty Re: Hello everyone

Post  Billy Paul Fri 13 Mar 2009, 3:07 pm

Thanks Sean! Great illustration and thanks for the insight regarding their field uniforms being along British Indian Army lines.

Billy Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Animal Sun 15 Mar 2009, 5:57 am

Welcome Billy! I'm at AHF too, under the same username.

Animal

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy Paul Sun 15 Mar 2009, 2:52 pm

Thanks Animal! Over at AHF I'm just "Billy" but apparantly that username was already in use here.

Billy Paul

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone Empty 1955 back view

Post  Sean Fri 10 Apr 2009, 3:47 pm

From Getty

https://i.servimg.com/u/f82/12/22/09/10/55_nep10.jpg

Sean

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone Empty Great!

Post  Billy Paul Tue 14 Apr 2009, 2:50 pm

Thanks Sean! Very British-looking indeed. I guess the patches on the elbows of the sweater are leather elbow reinforcements i.e. for when resting his elbows on the lip of a fighting position to fire his rifle? Smart idea. I wonder if during World War II they looked as advanced as this or if they were in British Service Dress uniforms with puttees?

Last edited by Billy Paul on Tue 14 Apr 2009, 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelling and expanding a comment)

Billy Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Sun 19 Apr 2009, 4:41 am

Like the British, Indian, Pakistanis, the elbow patches were cotton not leather.
I would suggest that most of the items shown were worn from the last years of the War.
They were in all likelihood not worn at the start of the war, apart from the hat.
It is unlikely that serge service dress was worn, but not impossible. A derivative was certainly worn in Tibet at this time.

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum