Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PPCLI and colored pags

Go down

PPCLI and colored pags Empty PPCLI and colored pags

Post  Dr B Fri 06 May 2011, 7:56 am

Good afternoon,
I have some PPCLI from W. Britains which show white pags on the white helmet. I also have a Charles Stadden 90mm fig of a drummer of that unit, (1930's) which calls for a light blue pag which is the same color as the facings of this regiment.
Question: Did all members of the PPCLI switch to the blue pag prior to WW2 or was this an affectation of the band? If they switched, when did this happen?
Thanks ahead.
Dr B

Dr B

Back to top Go down

PPCLI and colored pags Empty Re: PPCLI and colored pags

Post  servicepub Fri 06 May 2011, 9:27 am

There are a number of answers to this and I will try to enumerate them;
First, the Pugaree is French Grey - the English translation for 'bleu d'horizon'. As such the pug is greyish-blue and not pale blue. The colour was taken into use following the Regiment's experience in France & Flanders following the First World War.
Initially, all ranks wore the French Grey pug. At one point in the 1930's it was noted by Headquarters that the PPCLI had no authority for this distinctive pug and were ordered to wear the universal white pug on the Wolseley helmet. This caused the regiment to make a formal request - approval for which followed shortly thereafter.
For a short period all ranks wore the French Grey but, at some point after the Second World War, the officers reverted to a white pug and French Grey continued to be worn by all ORs - including (but not limited to) the band. This custom is still followed today.
Clive

servicepub

Back to top Go down

PPCLI and colored pags Empty Thanks

Post  Dr B Sat 07 May 2011, 4:49 am

Clive,
Thanks for your reply. Will be duly noted.
Dr B

Dr B

Back to top Go down

PPCLI and colored pags Empty Re: PPCLI and colored pags

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down