Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General officer's Uniforms of British Army

2 posters

Go down

General officer's Uniforms of British Army Empty General officer's Uniforms of British Army

Post  sbintayab Sat 19 Feb 2011, 8:10 pm

Dear,
Over the internet I have found some images of British General (Major General).
Tunic
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Collar
Cuff
Rear view Tunic

I have no doubt that, this uniform was worn after 1880. But my question is - Was staff officer (but rank was Major General or above) worn this? Can anyone help me.....
Regards
Shams

sbintayab

Back to top Go down

General officer's Uniforms of British Army Empty Re: General officer's Uniforms of British Army

Post  buistR Sun 20 Feb 2011, 7:09 pm

Hello Shams - thank you for posting these interesting pictures of an unusual uniform. The "Dress Regulations for the Army 1900" contain photographs and detailed discriptions of the full dress tunics of (i) a General officer and (ii) a Colonel on the Staff. The most obvious difference is that the collar and cuff flaps (the scolloped vertical patches backing three buttons) of the General's uniform are virtually covered in gold embroidery in the form of oak leaves, while that of the staff Colonel is simply edged in gold braid. In addition the cuff flap of the General officer is scarlet while that of the staff officer is dark blue. In short your uniform appears to be that of a Colonel on the Staff. The odd point though is that the insignia on the epaulettes is the crossed baton and sword plus star ("pip") of a general and not the two pips plus crown of a colonel. So were a general's epaulettes of the former mixed up with the tunic of the latter (people selling militaria sometimes do that sort of tinkering); or did a promoted colonel not want the considerable expense of a new tunic; or was there a particular type of general who was authorised to wear a hybrid uniform?

buistR

Back to top Go down

General officer's Uniforms of British Army Empty Re: General officer's Uniforms of British Army

Post  sbintayab Mon 21 Feb 2011, 5:54 pm

Dear buistR,
You may be correct. But I have some images where British Generals wore this type of tunic. It may indicate that, General officers of special appointment wore this type of uniforms. I want to know the type of appointment.
Regards
Shams

sbintayab

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down