Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Faulkland Islands Volunteer and Defence Force

5 posters

Go down

Faulkland Islands Volunteer and Defence Force Empty Faulkland Islands Volunteer and Defence Force

Post  Sean Mon 19 May 2008, 4:21 pm

I have a soft spot for these volunteers.
I hope to illustrate more of them soon.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f42/12/22/09/10/66510.jpg

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sean

Back to top Go down

Faulkland Islands Volunteer and Defence Force Empty Re: Faulkland Islands Volunteer and Defence Force

Post  Billy Paul Tue 28 Apr 2009, 2:53 pm

Very nice. I unfortunately know nothing about the Falklands during the War. Did the British have any ASW aircraft based there or long-range maritime recce. aircraft? I only ask because of the islands' proximity to Argentina and that country's status as sort of an Axis-leaning neutral until it made the decision to declare (as a formality) for the Allies.

Billy Paul

Back to top Go down

Faulkland Islands Volunteer and Defence Force Empty Re: Faulkland Islands Volunteer and Defence Force

Post  oblongz Sat 28 Mar 2015, 9:17 pm

Hello,

photo from WW1 , were the uniforms still worn in WW2 ?

http://www.britishempire.co.uk/maproom/falkland/fidf.htm

Ken.

oblongz

Back to top Go down

Faulkland Islands Volunteer and Defence Force Empty FIDF WWII

Post  wfrad Sun 29 Mar 2015, 9:20 am

It’s not unknown for the British army to continue to issue old stock to reserve/volunteer units.  
Although it’s possible for the FIDF to have worn the same uniform for twenty years, I would have thought that once the regular infantry arrived to help garrison the islands the FIDF may have received new uniforms.
I believe that there’s a Falklands history group. you may be able search for their details and ask if they have any photographs.
Not much help but the best I can come up with.
Regards
WF

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Post  wfrad Thu 17 Aug 2017, 10:44 pm

These are from an update of a commemoration booklet compiled for the Falkland Islands Museum and National Trust.
Not unlike many of the Commonwealth the islanders contribution to the war effort, Considering the small population of the Falklands, was quite considerable.
The picture 4th image showing the mounted infantry appears to be the same image from the previous post, which is in the section devoted to the islands during the second world war.
As it isn't in the 1930's section it would suggest that it was taken just prior too or during WWII .

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Post  zebra Sat 26 Aug 2017, 7:38 pm

Hello ,

what a great find, see that all ranks have the narrow shoulder belt.
Would the infantry have had the bandolier like the mounted men or ammo pouches on the belts ?

Pat.

zebra

Back to top Go down

Post  wfrad Sat 09 Sep 2017, 10:00 am

Pat
I don’t know if the men in Stanley wore webbing as opposed to the cross belt.
At a guess, with such a small force and for the sake of uniformity the cross belts would have been standard.
The Defense force in 1939 had 139 officers and men in Stanley and a further 134 officers and men in the Camp Districts.
In the booklet all the photographs take of the men have them in plain battle dress, mixed dress or with cross belt.
Maybe when the West Yorkshire Regiment arrived on the islands, in ‘42, those who were not mounted were issued with webbing.  
There must be some photo’s in someone’s tin can but I haven’t seen any.

Here's a four more from the booklet.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down