Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uniform Identification

2 posters

Go down

Uniform Identification Empty Uniform Identification

Post  Bronte73 Sun 21 Mar 2010, 10:13 pm

Can anyone give me any idea of where to start looking for a uniform like this? It could be one of the many uniforms of the British Indian regiments or East India Company; East African Rifles. I am guessing the dating could be between 1880 and 1905. This is just a guess it may be much older than that.
https://i.servimg.com/u/f61/15/01/29/58/bernie10.jpg

Any help or ideas would be reatly Appreciated.

Cheers,

Bronte73

Back to top Go down

Uniform Identification Empty Australian

Post  Sean Mon 22 Mar 2010, 1:09 am

The jacket is Australian, used during the Great War.
The lack of colour patches at the top of the sleeves seems to indicate early in the war. The metal waist band buckle also points to an early model of the jacket. No curved 'Australia' title on the shoulder straps either.
I have an article packed in one of my boxes that explains the timings of the variants of these jackets but it would be virtually impossible to find.
The other interesting bit is the grenades on the collar, either engineer or artillery. These were not worn by the Australian Imperial Force (but that is not to say individuals did not exert their independence).
It may be a Militia soldier who remained in Australia, because they were also issued these jackets later in the war.
For me early AIF volunteer with a peaked cap.
Hope this helps.

Sean

Back to top Go down

Uniform Identification Empty Plain Australian Uniform

Post  Bronte73 Mon 22 Mar 2010, 4:38 am

Hi Sean,

Thanks so much for replying. I know very little of military things so please forgive my ignorance, what is a militia soldier?
Do you think this may have been posed for in a studio and if so was this a common thing? Also why do you think there were no insignias, badges, stripes etc. on the uniform? Was this also normal? Also the Puttee's were they standard too?

Cheers,
Bronte

Bronte73

Back to top Go down

Uniform Identification Empty Re: Uniform Identification

Post  Sean Sat 27 Mar 2010, 2:25 pm

The whole thing is pretty standard. As I said previously the lack of badges seems to indicate an early AIF picture. Badges came later with colour patches not appearing until 1915.

Sean

Back to top Go down

Uniform Identification Empty Re: Uniform Identification

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down