Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finnish Civil War uniforms 1918

3 posters

Go down

Finnish Civil War uniforms 1918 Empty Finnish Civil War uniforms 1918

Post  zebra Sat 08 Aug 2009, 9:04 pm

Anyone know what was worn by the White and Red armies,or the most commonly issued? Armbands, collarpatches, rank insignia? Pat.

zebra

Back to top Go down

Finnish Civil War uniforms 1918 Empty Re: Finnish Civil War uniforms 1918

Post  ChrisF202 Mon 24 Aug 2009, 7:31 am

I too would be interesting in uniform and rank insignia details but I have no information on the Finnish Civil War other then what can be found on Wikipedia Embarassed

ChrisF202

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mon 31 Aug 2009, 3:42 pm

From what I've seen in Finnish Army books and the very good websites available on this period, there was no set uniform for the White forces, apart from the German raised 27th Jager Bn.
Armbands were worn showing allegiance but I am unsure of what was written on them. These were worn with bits of Russian uniform and civilian clothing. Russian weapons were used, but some German items were provided by Goltz's expeditionary force in 1918.
I think some senior officers wore a Swedish style uniform initially, most likely in grey.
After the war a grey uniform was adopted by both the Civil Guard and Army, but in different styles. At this stage rank insignia became more prevalent.
Sorry this doesn't help much.

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post  zebra Sat 19 Sep 2009, 8:20 pm

The "World War One Sourcebook" by Philip J Haythornthwaite mentions a uniform of grey Swedish cloth-tunic,breeches, puttees and a kepi like cap.Pat.

zebra

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down