Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VANISHED ARMIES 1907 - 1914 NEW BOOK

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

VANISHED ARMIES 1907 - 1914  NEW BOOK - Page 2 Empty Re: VANISHED ARMIES 1907 - 1914 NEW BOOK

Post  Sean Sun 15 Nov 2009, 3:49 pm

Cameron Highlanders and a Lanarkshire Volunteer.
Once I get home I'll try to remember to put in the correct titles

Sean

Back to top Go down

VANISHED ARMIES 1907 - 1914  NEW BOOK - Page 2 Empty Re: VANISHED ARMIES 1907 - 1914 NEW BOOK

Post  buistR Mon 07 Dec 2009, 8:13 am

My copy of Vanished Armies made its way through the (generally) efficient Amazon distribution system yesterday and I am very pleased with it. It was certainly a remarkable achievment by A. E. Haswell Miller - to stalk soldiers of eleven nations through the Edwardian streets doing instant sketches that could be developed into remarkably accurate colour pictures. Not to mention risky - military men on leave being sometimes drunk and belligerent "Oy -whatcha doin' with that notebook!".

There are of course a few errors - most of which editor John Mollo has picked up. A minor instance missed by Mollo is the figure in the French section (#77 plate 49) identified as a corporal of the Foreign Legion. It is actually a very accurate sketch of a corporal in the African Light Infantry - the notorious "Joyeux" of convicted criminals seeing out their military service. Normally they were used in North Africa to build roads and other onerous jobs. What was one of them doing wandering around Paris?

Thanks to Sean for getting the publishers to remedy the only major flaw in this work - the missing plate 15.

buistR

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2