Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Montenegrin 'Grbovi'

2 posters

Go down

Montenegrin 'Grbovi' Empty Montenegrin 'Grbovi'

Post  KraVseR Mon 19 Nov 2018, 7:25 am

The 'grbovi' were introduced to the Montenegrin army in the 2nd half of the 19th century. These were metal badges on the cap, and they served to distinguish ranks - different officers wore grbovi with different emblems. It looks like cockades, but as far as I know, cockades do not fulfill the function of rank distinction. Tell me please, maybe in the 19th century somewhere there was a similar practice, or is it a unique Montenegrin tradition of insignia?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

KraVseR

Back to top Go down

Montenegrin 'Grbovi' Empty Re: Montenegrin 'Grbovi'

Post  wfrad Mon 26 Nov 2018, 6:55 am

I would say that most nations used/use for their rank and cap badges royal or national heraldry to some degree.
An example would be the British army who use the Order of Bath, Royal Arms and also Royal Cyphers, along with other orders and coats of arms particularly for the cap badges.
The rank insignia for Montenegro for the first world war according to Mollo was as below but there was no mention of cockades, that doesn't mean that there wasn't any as at the beginning of the war not all of the army had uniforms.  I don't know maybe someone else with more than my limited knowledge will give us a more detailed reply.
Ranks according to Mollo:
Corporal [Desetar) One lace stripe in the arm colour  across the shoulder straps.  Yellow yellow metal cap badge of a seven pointed star with the royal cypher in the centre.
Sergeant [Wodnik]: Two lace stripes in the arm colour across the shoulder straps. Yellow metal badge cap badge consisting of a six pointed with two smaller six pointed stars, one on each side, with the royal cypher in the middle.
Company Officers: Gold lace straps with one longitudinal stripe in arm colour and one to three five pointed stars.  Poruchnik, silver cap badge.  Nadporuchnik, silver cap badge with crossed gilt handschars.   Kapitan, gilt cap badge with crossed silver handschars.
Field Officers [Kommandir]:  Gold lace straps with one longitudinal stripe in arm colour and one to five pointed silver stars.  Gilt metal cap badge as for company officers with breeches piped in arm colour.
Brigadier [Brigadir]: Gold zigzag pattern lace shoulder straps with one five pointed silver star.  Gilt metal cap badge of special design and 3mm wide gold lace stripe on the breeches.

An hereditary appointment of  ensign [Barjaklar] wore a special cap badge of a cross resting on a handschar and supporting a flag with its right arm and carried the battalion or company colours.

The images below are from the Imperial War Museum.
Potporuchik
Brigadir
Kapitan

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Montenegrin 'Grbovi' Empty Re: Montenegrin 'Grbovi'

Post  wfrad Sun 04 Aug 2019, 11:32 pm

wfrad