Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British Greatcoats

2 posters

Go down

British Greatcoats Empty British Greatcoats

Post  wfrad Tue 04 Feb 2014, 6:54 am

Pedro,
These are taken these from MAA196, maybe not be a lot of help, good illustrations of the ordinary soldiers greatcoat for the period between the Napoleonic and Crimean wars are surprisingly hard to find.
I’m not sure regarding any changes of  the style of the greatcoat for the period between the 1815-60.
It’s an item of clothing that many authors have barely bothered to mention.  For example they may mention that in 1802 officers had dark blue double breasted greatcoats that changed to grey around 1811, never bothering to go into any greater detail.
I’m in the process of transferring files to a new computer which is taking for ever and Wndows 8 is driving me nuts.
Once I’ve completed that task, I may find something a little more detailed..
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Regards
WF

Last edited by wfrad on Tue 26 Jul 2022, 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed photobucket)

wfrad

Back to top Go down

British Greatcoats Empty BRITISH ARMY GREATCOATS XIX CENTURY

Post  pedroalfonso Sun 09 Feb 2014, 5:46 am

WFRAD,

Thanks a lot. Please do not hesitate to let me know whatever info you have regarding to this subject. I´m a pasionate of british uniforms, mainly during the second half of XIX centrury.

Best regards

Pedro

pedroalfonso

Back to top Go down

British Greatcoats Empty British Greatcoats

Post  wfrad Sun 09 Feb 2014, 10:16 am

Pedro,
Have tried archive.org, avaxhome.cc/ebooks and even google books.  
Google have a few free downloads of  IX century regulations, its a little hit and miss with many books unavailable for downloading or even reading.  
Not sure it this is a location issue, many sites in the US, and other nations, restrict foreign IP addresses but you may be able to use a proxy to gain access.
Anything specific and I will try and help if I can, but I’m not an expert.
Regards
Wf

wfrad

Back to top Go down

British Greatcoats Empty Re: British Greatcoats

Post  wfrad Thu 17 Jan 2019, 10:42 am

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Post  wfrad Sat 19 Jan 2019, 11:09 pm

wfrad

Back to top Go down

British Greatcoats Empty great coats worn during WWI

Post  wfrad Sun 03 Feb 2019, 6:11 am

Three patterns of other ranks great coats worn during WWI.
Two infantry style or dismounted and one double breasted mounted pattern.

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Post  wfrad Mon 09 Oct 2023, 9:32 am

Information regarding rank taken from the publication 'Society For Army Historical Research.'
In the 6oth Rifles, in 1855, Non-Commissioned Officers above the rank of Serjeant wore badges and chevrons of gold.
Another writer states that, in 1857, in the Rifle Brigade, the chevrons for Non-Commissioned Officers were of black braid.
The 1862, Clothing Regulations was published, and, though this it's believed that the Light Infantry, Fusilier, Highland, and Rifle Regiments, Colour-Serjeants wore the Colour Badge and a single-bar chevron of double lace on the right arm ; a three-bar chevron on the left.
In all these classes of Infantry (including Rifles); these badges were of gold. On the serge frock, the Colour Badge and chevron was replaced by a three-bar chevron of gold single lace.
Throughout the Infantry, Orderly-Room-Clerks and Paymaster’s-Clerks, if they ranked as Colour-Serjeants, wore a three-bar chevron of gold double lace, and did not wear the Colour Badge.
A Lance-Serjeant wore the tunic of a Corporal with a three-bar chevron (of white double lace).
In Battalion Regiments, the badges of rank were worn on the right arm; in Light Infantry, Fusilier, Highland, and Rifle Regiments, on both arms. In all cases, the chevrons were of double lace and were set point downwards above the elbow.
Except in Rifle Regiments, the badges and chevrons were of gold for Non-Commissioned Officers above the rank of Serjeant ; of white for those below that of Colour-Serjeant. For the rank and file, the tunic was red; for superior ranks, scarlet.
A Serjeant-Major was distinguished by a Crown above a four-bar chevron; Quartermaster-Serjeant and a Band-Serjeant, by a four-bar chevron; a Serjeant-Instructor-in-Musketry, by crossed Muskets above a four-bar chevron.
There's an image of the 1850/60s greatcoat above.

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Post  wfrad Sun 15 Oct 2023, 8:42 am

Another two illustrations from British Infantry Regiments by A. H. Bowling.

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Post  wfrad Sat 21 Oct 2023, 9:51 am

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down