Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chilean Cavalry

3 posters

Go down

Chilean Cavalry Empty Chilean Cavalry

Post  Sean Sun 21 Apr 2013, 6:27 am

Not sure of the date, 1940s I would say. But am informed they are Chilean cavalrymen. Interestingly the machine gun is Japanese.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sean

Back to top Go down

Chilean Cavalry Empty Re: Chilean Cavalry

Post  mconrad Mon 22 Apr 2013, 1:30 pm

Possibly someone misread "Chilean" for "Chinese"?

mconrad

Back to top Go down

Chilean Cavalry Empty Chilean Cavalry

Post  brennapj Mon 22 Apr 2013, 3:31 pm

Actually, it could very well be Chilean cavalry. Back in 1998, I was in communication with a fellow history buff from Chile. While most of our discussions were about Latin American armor, he mentioned that Chile did receive some Japanese equipment in the 1930's. The following is that portion of an email that he sent me regarding these machine guns.

"The data you tell me is roughly correct except for a little detail; Almost everybody-including Mr English- speak of "Hotchkiss" MGs, in fact, its because of the Chilean erroneous denomination of "Hotchkiss-Japonesa" of a very large Batch of .303 Nambu Japanese mgs that that country sold to us in payment of a Nitrate debt in the early 30s, at least 2 weapons survive intact, one in the Navy weapons school museum and anoher in the aforementioned Army Museum, the Kana Characters are clear and the weapons are intact. In fact they survived as a weapon for reserves till the early 80s when they ran out of ammo and it wasnt worth-despite theyre excellent state- to rebore them. About this I can assure you, I have personally touched it and even tried its ergonomics with a couple of friends, I could send you Photos. About what I cant assure you beyond some data in a magazine is of the transfer of a japanese battery of AA 75 mm guns, also in the mid thirties, but I can send you Xerox copies of the article, they were theoretically sent to the AA regiment at "El Bosque"

Remember that this email was sent in 1998 and I have not had contact with him in many years, so the examples stated as to being in the various museums may no longer be there.

Hope that this helps

Pat Brennan

brennapj

Back to top Go down

Chilean Cavalry Empty Re: Chilean Cavalry

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down