Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US soldiers, pith helmets in Iran, WW2

3 posters

Go down

US soldiers, pith helmets in Iran, WW2 Empty US soldiers, pith helmets in Iran, WW2

Post  mconrad Thu 11 Apr 2013, 10:30 am

The sergeant is wearing a British pattern pith helmet. Notice the tommy gun held by the aggressive fellow on top of the halftrack. When you're out for a friendly chat with the locals, maybe you should leave this guy at home.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

mconrad

Back to top Go down

US soldiers, pith helmets in Iran, WW2 Empty Re: US soldiers, pith helmets in Iran, WW2

Post  BlueTrain Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:31 pm

Surprisingly, sun helmets and khaki shorts were still on issue in the 1960s in the US Army, although they were not common. In fact, I never saw a sun helmet during my time in the service but then, I never saw a blue dress uniform either. In stateside locations, dress uniforms, either khaki or the Army Green uniform, was commonly worn as the uniform of the day except for training and fatigue duties. In really hot places, like Fort Sill, Oklahoma, khaki shorts were liked by some for wear but they were becoming hard to find by then (1966). I have seen one photo of a soldier in Vietnam wearing a sun helmet and lots of photos in the South Pacific of them wearing those sun helmets. The one I have is stamped with a DSA stock number, rather than the later federal stock number. At any rate, seeing British pith helmets in use is something new for me.

BlueTrain

Back to top Go down

US soldiers, pith helmets in Iran, WW2 Empty Re: US soldiers, pith helmets in Iran, WW2

Post  ChrisF202 Tue 11 Jun 2013, 11:54 pm

There is (was?) also an "Army White" service uniform that is/was worn in certain tropical postings like Puerto Rico. Not sure if it is still issued as all US Army officers I have seen in Puerto Rico seem to wear the ASU blue uniform at official events.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWhy6oMixx8
You can see it at 1:30, also brief images of State Police and firefighters in the 1952 Fourth of July parade.

ChrisF202

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueTrain Wed 12 Jun 2013, 3:00 am

The Army White uniform was generally for officers only and was therefore not an issue item. I never saw one in three years active service in the army but there were lots of other things I never saw either. I think it was an optional uniform over the last, say, 75 years. It was superceded by the Army Blue uniform just recently (never saw one of them either).

BlueTrain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down