Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scottish Volunteer Artillery

4 posters

Go down

Scottish Volunteer Artillery Empty Scottish Volunteer Artillery

Post  Sean Sat 04 Aug 2012, 7:49 am

I believe he is a piper in one of the Scottish Volunteer Artillery units at the turn of the 20th century.
Can anyone inform me of the unit and the tartan used?
Thanks

Scottish Volunteer Artillery Img_1310

Sean

Back to top Go down

Scottish Volunteer Artillery Empty Maybe RA

Post  wfrad Sat 04 Aug 2012, 10:30 pm

Looks like Royal Artillery badges on collar and sporran.

wfrad

Back to top Go down

Scottish Volunteer Artillery Empty Do you have access to Grierson?

Post  mconrad Mon 06 Aug 2012, 8:41 am

Do you have access to Grierson, Records of the Scottish Volunteer Force (1909)? He would at least narrow down the list to the possible candidates.

Scottish Volunteer Artillery Aascot10Scottish Volunteer Artillery Aascot11

mconrad

Back to top Go down

Scottish Volunteer Artillery Empty Scottish Volunteer Artillery

Post  michael1 Mon 03 Sep 2012, 9:44 pm

As the photo was taken in Glasgow and assuming he wasn't visiting Glasgow for some Volunteer meeting, he should be from 1st Lanarkshire Artillery Volunteers (title up to 1908 when they joined Territorial Force). The Lieutenant colonel of the corps between 1895-1907(which ought to cover date of this cabinet photo) was Alexander B. Grant so perhaps he wears Grant tartan?
Plate III of Grierson shows a similar uniform for pipe band of Banff Artillery Volunteers but different sporran and shoulder ornamentation. Interestingly Grierson states that the Banff corps were one of the few Scottish Artillery Corps to possess a pipe band but I see no reason to doubt Lanark, as a sizeable unit, also had one, perhaps one of our Scottish members could confirm this.
Incidentally although Grierson is a pretty good source for uniform and other detail, he is not infallible (but then who is?) For example he states that the short-lived Dumfriess Mounted Rifles had silver lace bands on their pill box caps for officers and white for other ranks yet the only photo I've ever seen of this unit clearly shows dark (blue) bands for othe ranks pill box caps.

michael1

Back to top Go down

Scottish Volunteer Artillery Empty Re: Scottish Volunteer Artillery

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down