Uniforms of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British in pith helmets and sweaters

+2
ChrisF202
mconrad
6 posters

Go down

British in pith helmets and sweaters Empty British in pith helmets and sweaters

Post  mconrad Sat 21 Jul 2012, 3:26 am

I guess it got cold. Everyone is in sweaters and long home service pants.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

mconrad

Back to top Go down

British in pith helmets and sweaters Empty Re: British in pith helmets and sweaters

Post  ChrisF202 Sat 21 Jul 2012, 4:22 am

Perhaps this photo was taken in the Mesopotamian campaign of World War I - it gets pretty darn cold at night in Iraq. Friends who have served there over the past few years have told me that it can go below freezing at night during the winter months especially in the Kurdistan region, and along the Syrian & Turkish borders.

ChrisF202

Back to top Go down

British in pith helmets and sweaters Empty Re: British in pith helmets and sweaters

Post  Sean Sat 21 Jul 2012, 6:41 am

There were a number of areas that were cold in the winter months but because you are overseas a Wolesley is essential. North West frontier, Tibet, Nepal, China, and so forth. Could be any of these. The style of the 'plus fours' and putties make me think its post-WWI

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry B Sat 18 Aug 2012, 3:28 am

What what I have read, the Western Desert during WWII was well known for getting very cold at night, with both sides wearing heavy coats and/or woolen tunics and the purchase of Hebron coats made of goat skin was fairly common among the British troops. You also see lots of pics of British troops wearing the Leather Jerkin.

Regards,

Jerry

Jerry B

Back to top Go down

Post  buistR Sat 18 Aug 2012, 11:38 am

Hmm - they do look a bit too tidy and uniform for WWI Tommies. Creased knickerbockers and neatly wound puttees (reportedly measured against cigarette packets) would be more typical of peacetime regulars during the 1920s and 30s. Home service khaki serge was worn as cold weather field service order by British troops in India and the Middle East during that period, when temperatures warranted it. Even Gurkhas appeared in it - presumably smaller sizes.

buistR

Back to top Go down

British in pith helmets and sweaters Empty qq

Post  zzsunny1118 Thu 06 Dec 2012, 6:06 pm

Look like very warm Very Happy

zzsunny1118

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down